Roasted Sweet Potatoes are a salty, crispy, savory, and slightly sweet side dish you can pair with almost anything! Lightly spiced and so simple, this easy recipe is a total crowd pleaser and a must-have for weeknight dinners.
I find it such a shame that classic side dishes like mushroom stuffing, glazed carrots, broccolini, and sweet potatoes are often put in the “Thanksgiving” or “holiday” category and only every eaten once or twice a year. They’re all delicious, easy to make, and good for you. You’d think they’d always be included on the year-round dinner rotation!
Thankfully, these Roasted Sweet Potatoes are way too good to pass up. Perfectly seasoned with cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder, this tasty potato side dish strikes the perfect balance between salty, sweet, and savory. All they need are just 30 minutes in the oven and will totally elevate any main dish you choose to serve them with!
Healthy oven roasted sweet potatoes are my go-to side next to roasted or grilled meats, like Sheet Pan Salmon or Roasted Chicken, but you can really pair them with anything. Enjoy them with Cauliflower Tacos to keep everything vegetarian or add them to the table on special occasions. There’s never a bad time for potatoes!
Peel or no peel?
Sweet potato skin is completely edible and is actually packed with nutrients that are really good for you. However, if you’re not a fan of cooked potato skin, you can peel the potatoes before roasting them.
Keep in mind that peeled sweet potatoes are going to be a little less crispy than unpeeled potatoes when roasted. Regardless of however you choose to prepare your potatoes, the amazing flavors will stay the same.
How to cut sweet potatoes for roasting
I like to cut my sweet potatoes into ½” cubes before roasting. To do this, first cut the potato into three or four sections lengthwise. Lay each section flat on your cutting board and chop them into strips before rotating 90° and chopping again to create cubes.
If cubes aren’t your thing, you could also slice your sweet potatoes into rounds or chop them lengthwise to create sweet potato fries.
How to make oven roasted sweet potatoes
Once the potatoes are chopped to your liking, arrange them in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle the cumin, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper over top.
Bake the sweet potatoes for 30 minutes, tossing them every 10 minutes. You’ll know the potatoes are ready when they’re crispy and fork tender.
Tips to make the best baked sweet potatoes
- Do your best to chop your sweet potatoes into pieces that are similar in size to help them bake evenly.
- If you can’t get your hands on traditional sweet potatoes, you can use garnet (red) yams or jewel yams instead.
- Not a fan of savory sweet potatoes? Try swapping out the savory spices for cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice.
- To make the crispiest roasted sweet potatoes, toss the cubes with one tablespoon of cornstarch before adding the oil and seasonings. The cornstarch clings to the outside of the potatoes and crisps up in the oven.
How to store them:
You can store any leftover roasted sweet potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To reheat, place the sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet, drizzle with a little additional oil, toss, and bake at 400°F until warmed through.
These savory sweet potatoes are a super versatile side dish that can be served with anything you like. I recommend serving them alongside classic comfort dishes such as:
- Boston Market Meatloaf
- Marinated Lamb Chops with Rosemary and Garlic
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Meatloaf
- Classic Steak Diane
- Baked Feta Pasta with Lamb
Wine pairings for sweet potatoes:
- Savory sweet potatoes pair really well with Chardonnay.
- If you’re craving a red, pair them with a fruity Grenache or Merlot instead.
If you loved this sweet potato side dish I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More sweet potato recipes:
- Sweet Potato Tacos with Chipotle Crema
- Sweet Potato Gnocchi
- The Best Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato and Chickpea Buddha Bowl
- Maple Roasted Feta with Sweet Potatoes, Farro, and Kale
More savory side dishes:
- Easy Sauteed Spinach
- Roasted Delicata Squash
- Smashed Brussel Sprouts
- Green Bean Fries
- Sous Vide Asparagus
- Mashed Cauliflower
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (peeled and cut into ½” cubes (about 3 medium sweet potatoes))
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Arrange the sweet potatoes on a large baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with the spices, then toss to coat.
- Spread the potatoes out in an even, single layer.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes, until the potatoes are crispy.