Mashed Cauliflower is a delicious, low carb & keto friendly side dish. With 5 flavor variations and instructions for making it on the stove or in the Instant Pot.
I instantly became obsessed with this recipe. So much so that I made it over, and over and over again. In so many different ways.
- I made it on the stovetop.
- I made it in the Instant Pot.
- I added cheddar cheese to it.
- I swirled it with sour cream.
- I added garlic…
And today I’m sharing with you all my tips and tricks for making the BEST mashed cauliflower in 5 different ways!
This keto mashed cauliflower is perfect for any occasion, and I think you’ll love it.
I will say that to me, the cauliflower taste is not very noticeable, so it makes a great alternative to mashed potatoes.
This easy mashed cauliflower recipe calls for using fresh cauliflower florets, cooking them until tender, then mashing them with a potato masher and a little butter. It’s a great recipe made with simple ingredients and the end result is delicious. They’ve got a creamy texture and so much flavor!
How to make Mashed Cauliflower
- Cut fresh cauliflower into large florets.
- Place in steamer basket.
- Steam 20 minutes.
- Remove and puree/mash with 3 Tablespoons butter and optional mix-ins.
How to make Mashed Cauliflower in the Instant Pot
- Trim stem of leaves off cauliflower, but leave head whole.
- Place on trivet in pressure cooker and add 1 cup water.
- Cook on MANUAL for 5 minutes. Quick release pressure.
- Remove and puree/mash with 3 Tablespoons butter and kosher salt and black pepper / or optional mix-ins (see below).
I have also tried steaming my cauliflower with chicken broth rather than water. I’ve found that it may add a bit more flavor to the cauliflower mash, but the taste difference isn’t too noticeable, so I’ll often just use what I have on hand.
Note: If you prefer a thicker cauliflower mash, you can either either add your cauliflower to a colander and press out some of the water, or wrap it in a couple dish towels and squeeze out some of the water.
How long does it last?
- It will keep in the fridge for up to three days. Note that it may begin to separate. Just give it a good stir before serving.
Can it be frozen?
- You can freeze it for up to three months.
How to season it:
Wondering what to add to give it extra flavor? Try these easy recipe mix-ins that give the best flavor:
Roasted Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- Try adding in some roasted garlic cloves before processing the mashed cauliflower.
Sour Cream Mashed Cauliflower with Chives
- Add 1/4 cup sour cream and 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh chives.
Pesto Mashed Cauliflower
- Add 2 Tablespoons prepare pesto.
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower with Parmesan
- Saute 1 clove fresh garlic with 3 Tablespoons butter before adding to the puree, and add in 1/4 cup parmesan cheese.
Cheddar Mashed Cauliflower with Chipotle
- Add 1 Tablespoon minced chipotle in adobo and 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
If you loved this recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings. I’d love to hear what mix-ins you tried!
Tools for making Cauliflower Mash:
What to serve with Mashed Cauliflower
- Steak Bites with Garlic Butter
- Easy Roasted Chicken
- Pork Piccata
- Ribeye Steak with Compound Butter
- Filet Mignon Bites with Creamy Horseradish
- Cauliflower Salad with Roasted Chickpeas & Quinoa
- Roasted Miso Cauliflower
- Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
Cauliflower Mash Recipe
Mashed Cauliflower // 5 Ways // Stovetop + Instant Pot
- Water (or chicken broth)
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Cut cauliflower into large florets.
- Add cauliflower to a steamer basket and place in a pot filled with water (or broth) to just below the basket. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and steam for 15-20 minutes, until cauliflower is very tender.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cauliflower to a food processor. Add butter. Process until smooth. Alternatively, you can use a blender or immersion blender. Season liberally with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Trim leaves off cauliflower and trim stem. Leave cauliflower whole.
- Add 1 cup water or broth to Instant Pot. Place trivet in pot and place cauliflower on top.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and set valve to seal.
- Cook on MANUAL high pressure for 5 minutes. It will take about 10 minutes for the pressure to build, then a countdown timer will begin.
- Once the cook time is up, quick release the pressure and remove the lid.
- Add cauliflower to a food processor along with butter. Puree until smooth. Alternatively, you can use a blender or immersion blender. Season liberally with salt and pepper, to taste.