These Easy Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream are the most delicious mashed potatoes you will ever have. They’re light, creamy, buttery & easy to make with the help of your stand mixer – No hand mashing required!
May I present you with the most perfect of mashed potatoes?
Light, creamy, buttery and tangy – All the great things you want in a bowl of mashed potatoes. But another bonus? There’s no hand mashing required.
Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
The key here begins with boiling your potatoes in salted chicken broth.
You know how you salt your pasta water? This is kind of the same idea. The broth will impart a flavor to the potatoes from the outset and give you that extra flavor that mashed potatoes can sometimes lack.
After the potatoes are cooked, I like to use my stand mixer to get them really smooth. Starting first with the paddle mixer attachment and then moving to the whip. You can also use a handheld mixer. Or, you can go old fashioned, and use a good old potato masher if you don’t have an electronic one.
I always forget how simple it is to actually make these potatoes!
You can peel the potatoes if you like them really smooth. But, if you’re short on time, just go ahead and leave the skins on. Then, just let them cook away while you work on your main dish.
PS – You can also make these Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes in the Instant Pot.
More Side Dish Recipes:
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes with Mojo Sauce
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes (with Crispy Skins)
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Reduction & Cranberries
- Shaved Fennel and Celery Salad
- Smashed Brussels Sprouts with Lemon Tahini Sauce
If you loved this Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More creamy side dish recipes:
- Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed Cauliflower // Stovetop or Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe (Savory)
- Miso Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic
- Creamy Polenta with Parmesan
- Duchess Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream Recipe
Easy Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes (peeled if desired)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Chives (for topping)
- Cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes and place them in a large pot with the chicken broth. Add enough water to cover the potatoes and add about 2 tablespoons of salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 10 to 12 minutes, until the potatoes fall apart easily when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan, until the butter is melted. Keep warm.
- As soon as the potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander.
- Place hot potatoes in mixing bowl and mix until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Slowly add in milk/butter mixture and sour cream.
- Turn up speed and beat for about 30 seconds, or until milk is absorbed. Gradually turn up speed and mix for 1 minute longer.
- Switch to whipping attachment and beat for about 1 minute, or until fluffy.
- Serve warm topped with extra butter (if desired) and chopped chives.
This post was originally published in November, 2014. It was updated in October 2021. The recipe remains the same – It’s definitely a keeper!