Mashed Sweet Potatoes – Ultra creamy, flavorful and delicious and made with only 3-ingredients! No hand mashing required. Let your stand mixer do all the work for you!
I’m all about a good mash – my sour cream mashed potatoes are a long time fav, and when I’m looking for a low carb option, this mashed cauliflower is a great stand in. But when fall starts rolling around, I’ve always got sweet potatoes on my mind. So of course, I had to share this mashed sweet potato recipe with you!
May I present you with the most perfect bowl of sweet potato mash ever? Light, creamy, and buttery – all the great things you’d want in a bowl of mashed potatoes. But another bonus? Sweet potatoes are packed with fiber and protein, making them a healthier option.
Three simple ingredients (and a little salt & pepper) are all you need to make these simple mashed sweet potatoes.
How do you cook sweet potatoes for sweet potato mash?
- You have options here. You can cook sweet potatoes in the instant pot, in boiling water, or in the oven.
- The recipe below calls for boiling the sweet potatoes, but you can also roast cubed potatoes in a 375 degree oven for about 30 minutes, or cook them in the instant pot as directed here.
- Oven roasted sweet potatoes will be a bit drier, so you may need to add some extra milk to get your desired, creamy consistency.
How do you make mashed sweet potatoes?
- Cook potatoes by boiling, roasting, or make sweet potatoes in the instant pot.
- Warm milk & butter.
- Mash potatoes until smooth.
- Add milk/butter mixture.
- Continue mashing until milk is absorbed and potatoes are creamy.
- Serve topped with extra butter and fresh chopped parsley (if desired).
Want to add even more flavor? Try adding in some roasted garlic before mashing the potatoes.
How do you mash sweet potatoes?
- I like to use my stand mixer to get the mash really smooth. You can also use a handheld mixer, food processor, or an immersion blender.
- You can also mash by hand using a potato masher or fork if you prefer a more rustic texture.
How to store mashed sweet potatoes:
- In the Fridge: Store tightly covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- In the Freezer: Store portioned into individual ziploc bags and freeze flat. Defrost overnight and warm on the stove or in the microwave, you may need to add additional milk.
If you loved this Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More sweet potato recipes:
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Fresh chopped parsley (to garnish (optional))
- Cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes and place them in a large pot. Add enough water to cover the potatoes and add salt. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes fall apart easily when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan, until the butter is melted. Keep warm.
- As soon as the potatoes are tender, drain them in a colander.
- Place hot potatoes in mixing bowl and mix until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Slowly add in milk/butter mixture.
- Turn up speed and beat for about 30 seconds, or until milk is absorbed.
- Serve warm topped with extra butter and parsley (if desired).