This Rack of Lamb with Herb Crust recipe is juicy, tender and delicious. Cooked in the oven to a perfect medium-rare and encrusted with parmesan cheese & fresh herbs.
I teamed up with American Lamb to bring you this post. As always, all opinions are my own.
Rack of Lamb with Herb Crust
When you want a recipe in your arsenal that makes a showstopper of a dinner entree suitable for any dinner party, but also want a recipe that can be on your dinner table in a hurry with little fuss, this is the recipe for you – parmesan crusted rack of lamb.
This would be the perfect dish for Easter. And, despite the fact that celebrations are going to look different this year, there are still endless ways to keep your spring traditions alive. While the table might be smaller, there will always be a spot for delicious American Lamb. Let this year’s holiday season be a celebration of the food you love, shared with those who you care for the most!
This herb crusted rack of lamb is perfect for a family of four. If you need help finding local lamb for your spring holiday celebration or any occasion, contact the American Lamb board.
The BEST Rack of Lamb Recipe
- It’s amazingly delicious.
- Roasted to a perfect medium rare.
- Crusted with the most delectable parmesan herb mixture.
First things first…
What is a Rack of Lamb?
- Rack of lamb is a rib cut and it’s perfect for serving at dinner parties since it’s easy to estimate that you’ll want 2-3 rib chops per person. You’ll want a rack of lamb that has been frenched, meaning that the rib bones are exposed. Most racks of lamb will already come this way, but you can also ask your butcher to do this for you.
- By choosing American Lamb, you’re supporting local farmers and ranchers throughout the US.
- Raising lamb in the US is a family affair with more than 80,000 family owned operations.
- Sheep improve pasture quality by recycling vital nutrients back into the soil, minimizing erosion and encouraging plant growth.
- The majority of sheep in the states graze pastures for most of their lives.
How to Make Rack of Lamb in the Oven:
- I start this rack of lamb on the stove top in a skillet that’s scorching hot. You want to sear all the sides to a golden brown. This should only take about 10 minutes total. After that, I let it rest for a bit while I prepare the parmesan herb crust. Once cool, I pat the breadcrumb mixture all over the rack of lamb and place it in a 450-degree oven.
Rack of Lamb Cooking Time
- Bake your rack of lamb in a 450-degree oven for 20-30 minutes. You’ll want to take it out of the oven when it is about 5 degrees below your desired temperature since as it rests, the temperature will continue to increase.
Rack of Lamb Cooking Temperature
- Rare: 120-130 degrees (very red inside)
- Medium-Rare: 130-140 degrees (bright pink inside)
- Medium: 140-145 degrees (light pink inside)
- Medium-Well: 145-150 degrees (barely any pink left)
- Well-Done: 150-160 degrees (no pink)
USDA recommends cooking lamb to an internal temperature of 145F with a 3 minute rest.
What to Serve with Rack of Lamb with Herb Crust:
- Arugula Salad
- Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes
- Baked Potatoes
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Cold Cucumber Soup
Wine Pairing for Rack of Lamb with Rosemary & Garlic:
- Cabernet is an excellent pairing with the rich lamb and its herbal notes are echoed in the parmesan-herb crust.
- Petite Sirah is another great match for this lamb. Its flavors of plum, berries and black pepper pair wonderfully with stronger flavored meats.
- Malbec with medium body and smooth tannins makes an excellent pairing for the rich rack of lamb.
If you loved this Rack of Lamb recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More lamb recipes:
- Lamb Stir Fry with Green Beans
- Slow Cooker Lamb Curry
- Marinated Lamb Chops with Rosemary & Garlic
- Grilled Lamb Kebabs with Basil Tahini Sauce
- Broiled Lamb Chops with Mint Mustard Sauce
- Sheet Pan Lamb Dinner
- Instant Pot Pasta with Lamb & Mint
- Grilled Rack of Lamb with Pistachio Basil Pesto
- Grilled Lamb Chops with Spicy Peanut Sauce
Rack of Lamb Recipe
Rack of Lamb with Herb Crust
- 1 rack of lamb (approximately 1¼ pounds, frenched)
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (divided)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh rosemary (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 Tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley (or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 large clove garlic (grated or fine minced)
- Heat a large skillet over high heat. Drizzle lamb with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Sear until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and let rest 20-30 minutes, until cool.
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, rosemary, parsley and garlic. Stir in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Pat the breadcrumbs over the lamb rack in an even layer.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, to a temperature of 120-degrees for medium rare (the temperature will continue to rise to 125-degrees as the lamb sits). Let rest 10 minutes then slice between the bones into individual chops, allowing about two per person.