Learn how to make Instant Pot Baked Potatoes with crispy skins! They cook in just 12 minutes in your pressure cooker. Then, finish them off under the broiler for perfect, crispy & salty skins.
Serve them with your favorite toppings like cheese and sour cream, or chili. Or, host a Baked Potato Bar.
I’ve found that baked potatoes end up being reserved for the weekends at our house. They’re always a bit of a last minute thought, and a 60-minute cook time in the oven means that since most my meals are 30-minutes or less, we’ll end up waiting on the baked potatoes.
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes to the rescue.
You can cook these beauties up in a fraction of the time.
And the best part? Even though they’re steamed in the pressure cooker, I’m still bringing you those crispy skins. I mean, there’s really no other way to enjoy a baked potato, right?
📋 How to Make Perfect Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- Add water and a trivet (or steamer basket) to the Instant Pot. You only need a cup of water. Be sure that the potatoes are not touching the water.
- Be sure your potatoes are all the same size. Varying sizes mean varying cooking times. Be sure that your potatoes are all about the same size, and use my cooking chart below to time things correctly.
- Pierce the potatoes. Piercing each potato with a fork 5 times ensures that they won’t explode during cooking and that steam will escape.
- Finish under the broiler. When the potatoes are done cooking, rub with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and pop them under the broiler for a few minutes. This gives you those perfect crispy potato skins.
🥔 What Potato is Best for a Baked Potato?
- For this recipe I used russet potatoes. You could also use other types of potatoes like sweet potatoes or yukon gold potatoes. Cook time will be the same as listed below.
🕕 How Long To Cook Them
- Small Potatoes (size of woman’s fist) – 12 minutes
- Medium Potatoes (standard size) – 15 minutes
- Large Potatoes (size of hand) – 18 minutes
The most difficult part of making baked potatoes in the Instant Pot is timing them correctly. Just like you would do in the oven, you’ll want to check them after their cook time for tenderness. If they pierce easily with a fork, they are done. If not, reseal the Instant Pot and cook for 2 minutes longer with natural release.
As with all Instant Pot recipes, be sure to take into account the time it will take for the pressure to build and release in the Instant Pot. For these Instant Pot Baked Potatoes, it will take about 10 minutes for the pressure to build and 10 minutes for the pressure to release. That will make your total cook time right around 35 minutes.
ℹ️ How Do You Get Crispy Skin on a Baked Potato?
- While the Instant Pot pressure is releasing, preheat your broiler to HIGH. Transfer the cooked potatoes to a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Coat potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt. Broil for 4-6 minutes until the skins are crispy.
These Instant Pot Baked Potatoes are perfect for meal prep. They’ll keep in the fridge for up to five days. Use a microwave to reheat and top with your favorite toppings.
🥣 Topping Ideas
- Cheese – Cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, goat cheese
- Sauces – Sour cream, chipotle crema, salsa, BBQ sauce
- Meat – Bacon, brisket, taco meat
- More → 50+ baked potato topping ideas, plus 29+ sauces for potatoes
Hosting a party? Create a Baked Potato Bar. It’s It’s a fun and festive way to feed a crowd, and the topping possibilities are endless. You can cook up to 8 potatoes at once in your Instant Pot.
You can also mashed potatoes out of your instant pot baked potatoes. Simply use a potato masher and mash them up with a little milk, butter, sour cream or cream cheese until you reach that perfect flavor and consistency. Try my easy Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes.
Did you try these instant pot potatoes?
If you loved this instant pot potato recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
For more great Platings and Pairings recipes, be sure to follow me on Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest and Facebook.
🍴 What to Serve with Them
- Boston Market Meatloaf
- Marinated Lamb Chops with Rosemary and Garlic
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Meatloaf
- Classic Steak Diane
- Slow Cooker Osso Buco
🌟 More Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Split Pea Dal
- Instant Pot Persian Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Sunday Gravy
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes Recipe
- 4 – 8 medium potatoes
- 1 cup water
- Olive oil ( optional)
- Kosher salt ( optional)
- Add 1 cup water and trivet or steamer basket to Instant Pot.
- Pierce each potato five times with a fork and place on trivet. Be sure potatoes are not touching water.
- Set for MANUAL, HIGH pressure for 12-18 minutes depending on potato size. It will take the pressure cooker 7-10 minutes to come to pressure.
- Naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes, before releasing any remaining pressure and opening the lid.
- While pressure is releasing, preheat broiler to HIGH.
- Place potatoes on baking sheet, rub with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt. Broil 4-6 minutes until the skins are crispy.
🍽 More Easy Side Dishes
- Glazed Carrots
- Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Instant Pot Artichokes
- Creamy Polenta with Parmesan
Check out the web story here.
26 thoughts on “Instant Pot Baked Potatoes (with Crispy Skins)”
I Loved These !!
I’m so happy you liked them!
Could you crisp them using the Sauté setting?
That’s a great idea Loretta. I will try this out and report back.
Just got my instant pot and am finally playing with it. This recipe has me absolutely convinced that I will be making lots of baked potatoes very soon. I must say everything that you have posted in your recipes looks amazing thank you for the awesome work that you do
I have a new IntsaPot Duo Crsip.
I Followed your direction and it took 40+ min for my med size Yukon potatoes to be fully cooked in the middle. Why?
Hi Shae! Unfortunately, I have not used the duo crisp, so I’m not sure… Maybe you were not using pressure cook, and instead using the air fry option?
I have got to get on the instant pot train!! So easy and delicious! Anything to shorten cooking time a little is a winner in my book 🙂
The texture on those crispy skins looks AMAZING. There’s nothing better than a crispy potato!
This looks completely delicious!
These look delicious! Potato dishes are great for fall! 😃
Yum! I never thought to cook baked potatoes in the instant pot. Brilliant, Erin!
I will never cook a potato in the oven or microwave again! The potatoes came out perfect!
I’m so happy to hear that you liked them Andie!
Omg I had no idea they would keep for five days! Instant pot has been my favourite investment. I made sure to get the large 10qt size! Now I know what my new go-to dinner side is going to be from now on! I’m making these as we speak! 🙂 thanks for the touch with the crispy skins, it makes all the difference! Xo
No hassle perfectly baked potatoes. Used Yukon gold potatoes. Made 5 in the first batch. 3 going in the fridge. We love ’em
I’m so happy to hear that Mike!
I’ve had my Instant Pot a year & finally used it today! I was a bit scared of it & admittedly a bit lazy to learn something new in the kitchen. Well, I’m now a convert! Thanks for sharing your potatoe recipe! I’m definitely going to try it!
Not sure this is a great recipe for the instant pot. Your story says you don’t have 45 mins to make these in the oven. By the time you add up all the time for the instant pot, it really isn’t much less. 10 mins to come to pressure, 18 mins cook time, 10 min natural release and then 6 mins under the broiler. That’s a total of 44 mins. I love my instant pot and use it all the time. This one just doesn’t seem like a time-saver. Thanks
Agreed about the amount of time- but it DOES free up the oven while I cook the main dish!!!
An oven takes about 10 minutes to pre-heat also. So it’s more like 55 or 60 mins in the oven vs 35-40 in the IP.
Nice, Thanks! I use this foldable steamer basket, space-saving design, way better than the metal baskets. I got it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WDJB5W8/
“size of a woman’s hand” LOL — Anna Faris’ or Rebel Wilson’s?
“size of a woman’s hand” LOL — Anna Faris’ or Rebel Wilson’s?
Can you place potatoes on top of one another or need them all at the bottom? I have a 6 qt pot and would like to cook 5 potatoes. Many thanks.
Hi Christine – You can stack the potatoes!