Learn how to make Instant Pot Baked Potatoes with crispy skins! They cook in just 12 minutes in your pressure cooker. Then, finish them off under the broiler for perfect, crispy & salty skins.
I’ve found that baked potatoes end up being reserved for the weekends at our house. They’re always a bit of a last minute thought, and a 60-minute cook time in the oven means that since most my meals are 30-minutes or less, we’ll end up waiting on the baked potatoes.
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes to the rescue.
You can cook these beauties up in a fraction of the time.
And the best part? Even though they’re steamed in the pressure cooker, I’m still bringing you those crispy skins. I mean, there’s really no other way to enjoy a baked potato, right?
What potato is best for a baked potato?
- For this recipe I used russet potatoes. You could also use other types of potatoes like sweet potatoes or yukon gold potatoes. Cook time will be the same as listed below.
How to make them
- Add water and a trivet (or steamer basket) to the Instant Pot. You only need a cup of water. Be sure that the potatoes are not touching the water.
- Be sure your potatoes are all the same size. Varying sizes mean varying cooking times. Be sure that your potatoes are all about the same size, and use my cooking chart below to time things correctly.
- Pierce the potatoes. Piercing each potato with a fork 5 times ensures that they won’t explode during cooking and that steam will escape.
- Finish under the broiler. When the potatoes are done cooking, rub with olive oil, sprinkle with salt, and pop them under the broiler for a few minutes. This gives you those perfect crispy potato skins.
How long to cook potatoes in the instant pot
- Small Potatoes (size of woman’s fist) – 12 minutes
- Medium Potatoes (standard size) – 15 minutes
- Large Potatoes (size of hand) – 18 minutes
The most difficult part of making baked potatoes in the Instant Pot is timing them correctly. Just like you would do in the oven, you’ll want to check them after their cook time for tenderness. If they pierce easily with a fork, they are done. If not, reseal the Instant Pot and cook for 2 minutes longer with natural release.
As with all Instant Pot recipes, be sure to take into account the time it will take for the pressure to build and release in the Instant Pot. For these Instant Pot Baked Potatoes, it will take about 10 minutes for the pressure to build and 10 minutes for the pressure to release. That will make your total cook time right around 35 minutes.
How do you get crispy skins?
- While the Instant Pot pressure is releasing, preheat your broiler to HIGH. Transfer the cooked potatoes to a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Coat potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt. Broil for 4-6 minutes until the skins are crispy.
How to make ahead & store
These Instant Pot Baked Potatoes are perfect for meal prep. They’ll keep in the fridge for up to five days. Use a microwave to reheat and top with your favorite toppings.
- Cheese – Cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, goat cheese
- Sauces – Sour cream, chipotle crema, salsa, BBQ sauce
- Meat – Bacon, brisket, taco meat
- More → 50+ baked potato topping ideas, plus 29+ sauces for potatoes
Hosting a party? Create a Baked Potato Bar. It’s It’s a fun and festive way to feed a crowd, and the topping possibilities are endless. You can cook up to 8 potatoes at once in your Instant Pot.
You can also mashed potatoes out of your instant pot baked potatoes. Simply use a potato masher and mash them up with a little milk, butter, sour cream or cream cheese until you reach that perfect flavor and consistency. Try my easy Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes.
What to serve with them
- Boston Market Meatloaf
- Marinated Lamb Chops with Rosemary and Garlic
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Meatloaf
- Classic Steak Diane
- Slow Cooker Osso Buco
More instant pot recipes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Split Pea Dal
- Instant Pot Persian Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Sunday Gravy
More easy side dishes
- Glazed Carrots
- Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Instant Pot Artichokes
- Creamy Polenta with Parmesan
Did you try these crispy instant pot baked potatoes?
If you loved this instant pot potato recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Crispy Instant Pot Baked Potatoes
- 4 – 8 medium potatoes
- 1 cup water
- Olive oil ( optional)
- Kosher salt ( optional)
- Add 1 cup water and trivet or steamer basket to Instant Pot.
- Pierce each potato five times with a fork and place on trivet. Be sure potatoes are not touching water.
- Set for MANUAL, HIGH pressure for 12-18 minutes depending on potato size. It will take the pressure cooker 7-10 minutes to come to pressure.
- Naturally release the pressure for 10 minutes, before releasing any remaining pressure and opening the lid.
- While pressure is releasing, preheat broiler to HIGH.
- Place potatoes on baking sheet, rub with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with kosher salt. Broil 4-6 minutes until the skins are crispy.
Check out the web story here.