Learn how to make perfect slow cooker baked potatoes with minimal effort. Just season the potatoes with olive oil and salt, wrap in foil, and cook in the crockpot. Serve them with your favorite toppings like cheese and sour cream, or chili. Or, host a Baked Potato Bar.
And while I’ve also discovered methods for making pressure cooker baked potatoes and air fryer baked potatoes, this slow cooker baked potato recipe can’t be beat if you want to cook up a big batch of potatoes for meal prep or if you’re hosting a Baked Potato Bar.
Depending on the size of your slow cooker, you can make up to eight potatoes at once in the crockpot.
How to make slow cooker baked potatoes
- Be sure your potatoes are all the same size. Varying sizes mean varying cooking times. Be sure that your potatoes are all about the same size.
- Pierce the potatoes. Piercing each potato with a fork 8-10 times ensures that they won’t explode during cooking.
- Season the potatoes with olive oil and kosher salt.
- Wrap in foil.
- Cook in the crockpot.
- Finish under the broiler. (Optional) When the potatoes are done cooking, pop them under the broiler for a few minutes. This gives you those perfect crispy potato skins.
How long does it take to cook potatoes in a slow cooker?
- The amount of time it takes for crock pot baked potatoes to cook depends on the size of your potatoes. This recipe calls for large russet potatoes which will cook in 8-10 hours on LOW, or 5-6 hours on high. Smaller potatoes like fingerling potatoes or red potatoes will cook in about half that time. Larger potatoes will need an hour or two longer.
How do you make crispy roast potatoes in the slow cooker?
- Once the potatoes are done cooking, pop them under the broiler for 4-6 minutes until the skins are crispy.
Can you make them without foil?
- Yes! I like to cook my potatoes in foil to make for easy cleanup and serving. However, you can also cook them without foil. The cook time will remain the same.
These crockpot baked potatoes are perfect for meal prep. They’ll keep in the fridge for up to five days. Use a microwave to reheat and top with your favorite toppings like cheese and sour cream, mojo sauce or chili.
Hosting a party? Create a Baked Potato Bar. It’s It’s a fun and festive way to feed a crowd, and the topping possibilities are endless. You can cook up to 8 potatoes at once in your slow cooker.
How to use slow cooker baked potatoes
Mashed Potatoes – Make mashed potatoes out of your slow cooked baked potatoes. Simply use a potato masher and the remaining ingredients. Try my easy Sour Cream Mashed Potatoes.
Gnocchi – Use the flesh of your baked potatoes to make gnocchi. Try my Sweet Potato Gnocchi or Easy Homemade Potato Gnocchi.
Potato Salad – Dice your cooked potatoes into bite-sized pieces and make potato salad! Try my Potato Salad with Tangy Mustard Dressing.
- Potato Cheese Soup with Smoky Chipotle
- Potato Vindaloo Curry Recipe
- Healthy Potato Leek Soup
- Classic Potato Latkes
- Easy Homemade Potato Gnocchi
Slow cooker recipes:
- Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce Recipe
- Slow Cooker Lamb Curry
- Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken
- Slow Cooker Osso Buco
- Slow Cooker “Better Than Botox” Bone Broth
Slow Cooker Baked Potatoes Recipe
- 4-8 large russet potatoes (scrubbed clean)
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Aluminum foil
- Pierce each potato with a fork 8-10 times.
- Rub potatoes with olive oil then sprinkle with salt.
- Wrap tightly in foil.
- Place in slow cooker, cover, and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, or HIGH for 5-6 hours, until tender when pierced with a paring knife.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.