Crispy Smashed Potatoes are the most delicious side dish! Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, they’re amazing on their own or top them with sour cream & mojo sauce.
If you’ve never tried smashed potatoes before, you’re in for a treat.
They remind me a little bit of latkes, without all the work.
All you need to do is:
They’re fluffy on the inside, but perfectly crispy outside.
They’re basically irresistible.
How To Make Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Boil your potatoes until they’re tender – it will take about 30 minutes.
- Smash the potatoes. I use a folded clean dish towel. Place the potato in between and smash using your hand to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Bake the potatoes in a hot 450-degree oven for 40 minutes, flip halfway through.
Tips for Making Smashed Potatoes
- I use baby potatoes or red potatoes for this recipe. Look for potatoes that are similar in size so that they cook evenly.
- The crispiest potatoes are the messiest ones. Don’t worry about pressing them down flat. The bumps and ridges are what give that great crunch.
- These potatoes can be prepared ahead of time. Just boil and flatten. Store in the fridge for up to three days. When ready to serve, coat with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and roast.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper, foil or a Silpat for easy cleanup.
These Crispy Smashed Potatoes are amazing as is. However, if you’d like to dress them up a bit, you can serve them alongside my favorite Mojo Sauce. It’s loaded with fresh herbs, garlic and a spicy jalapeno and takes all of 5 minutes to whip up in your blender. I also like to dollop a bit of sour cream or Greek yogurt on top.
I’m pretty positive that you’re going to love these!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes Recipe
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- 12-15 baby yellow potatoes (or red potatoes)
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Mojo Sauce (for topping )
- Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt (for topping)
- Preheat oven to 450-degrees.
- Put potatoes in large saucepan and cover with at least 1-inch water. Add 2 teaspoons kosher salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cook the potatoes until they are completely tender and can be easily pierced with a knife, about 30-35 minutes. Drain and let cool.
- Using a clean dish towel, flatten the cooled potatoes to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Place your potatoes on a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a Silpat.
- Coat potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with about 1 teaspoon salt.
- Roast potatoes until they’re crisp and deep brown around the edges, about 40 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- If desired, serve topped with mojo sauce and sour cream.
This recipe was originally published in December 2014. It was updated in March 2019 to update the photographs and content. The original recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
If you loved these Crispy Smashed Potatoes I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.