This homemade Shake N Bake recipe is a homemade version of the classic dish you loved as a kid. Pork chops or chicken are coated in a tasty breadcrumb mixture and baked until golden brown and delicious.
I have F.O.F. – Fear of Frying.
I believe that I have yet to make any recipe that calls for deep frying. I vow to someday get over that fear. BUT I get nervous around a pot of hot oil. It seems like you have to have the temperature just right, and I always worry that my coating is not going to stick, the meat will be raw inside, it will be too greasy, etc. etc. etc. Definite fear of frying!
For now baking is my friend. Plus, obviously, it’s a healthier option.
That’s why I love this homemade Shake N Bake recipe.
Shake N Bake is manufactured by Kraft Foods and was first introduced in 1965. With slogans such as “Shake N Bake: It’s better than frying”, and “Why fry? Shake N Bake” it has been marketed as a healthier and less-greasy alternative to frying. It’s a flavored bread crumb-style coating for chicken and pork that comes with a baggie for you to shake your meat in order to cover it with the breading mixture.
I remember eating Shake and Bake as a kid, growing up. That was quite a while ago, but I’ve got to say that I think this version tastes pretty similar! Pour your breadcrumb mixture into a Ziploc baggie and shake until your chops are coated in the crumb mixture. Then bake until the coating gets nice and brown and crispy.
Shake n Bake Directions:
You can make pork, boneless chicken or bone in chicken.
To make Shake n Bake chicken legs (bone-in chicken):
Cook in a 400-degree oven for 35-40 minutes, until the juices run clear and an instant read thermometer registers 165-degrees.
To make Shake n Bake chicken breast (boneless):
Cook in a 400-degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until the juices run clear and an instant read thermometer registers 165-degrees.
To make Shake n Bake pork chops:
Cook in a 400-degree oven for 25 minutes, until an instant read thermometer registers 145-degrees.
If you’re cooking other items alongside your pork chops, you can adjust the temperature:
- Cook pork chops at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cook pork chops at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Cook pork chops at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
What to serve with it:
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes (with Crispy Skins)
- Apple Slaw with Celery Root
- Glazed Carrots
- Vinegar Coleslaw
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Reduction & Cranberries
- Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream
- Arugula Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad with Pearl Couscous
Wine pairings for pork chops:
- Pork pairs awesomely with Pinot Noir. It’s a light bodied red that doesn’t overpower the flavors and the bright acidity is a nice match for the slight fattiness in the pork.
Wine pairings for chicken:
- Try an unoaked Chardonnay.
If you loved this homemade Shake N Bake recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Shake N Bake Pork Chops
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine bread crumbs, seasonings and oil in a bowl. Using a fork, mash to combine so that bread crumbs are uniformly combined with the oil.
- Place the Shake N Bake in a plastic Ziploc bag.
- One at a time, place your chops in the bag and shake to coat in the mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil (if desired) and bake for approximately 25 minutes, until cooked through.
This recipe was originally published in January 2015. It was updated in January 2020 to update the photos and add an instructional video. The recipe remains the same. Enjoy!