These Shake N Bake Pork Chops are a homemade version of the classic dish you loved as a kid. Pork chops are coated in a tasty breadcrumb mixture and baked until golden brown and delicious.
I have F.O.F. – Fear of Frying. I believe that I have yet to make any recipe that calls for deep frying. I vow to someday get over that fear. BUT I get nervous around a pot of hot oil. It seems like you have to have the temperature just right, and I always worry that my coating is not going to stick, the meat will be raw inside, it will be too greasy, etc. etc. etc. Definite fear of frying!
For now baking is my friend. Plus, obviously, it’s a healthier option.
Shake N Bake is manufactured by Kraft Foods and was first introduced in 1965. With slogans such as “Shake N Bake: It’s better than frying”, and “Why fry? Shake N Bake” it has been marketed as a healthier and less-greasy alternative to frying. It’s a flavored bread crumb-style coating for chicken and pork that comes with a baggie for you to shake your meat in order to cover it with the breading mixture.
I remember eating Shake and Bake as a kid, growing up. That was quite a while ago, but I’ve got to say that I think this version tastes pretty similar! Pour your breadcrumb mixture into a Ziploc baggie and shake until your chops are coated in the crumb mixture. Bake for a half hour, and the coating gets nice and brown and crispy.
For this recipe, I’m roasting my pork chops in a 425-degree oven for 25 minutes. The high heat ensures that your pork chops are crispy. However, if you’re cooking other items alongside your Shake N Bake pork chops, you can adjust the temperature:
How Long to Cook Pork Chops in a 400-Degree Oven:
- Cook pork chops at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
How Long to Cook Pork Chops in a 375-Degree Oven:
- Cook pork chops at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
How Long to Cook Pork Chops in a 350-Degree Oven:
- Cook pork chops at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
How to Make Shake and Bake Chicken:
You can also use your homemade Shake N Bake to coat chicken. Cook chicken in a 400 degree oven. Bone-in Shake and Bake chicken will take 35-40 minutes. Boneless Shake and Bake chicken will take 15-20 minutes.
What to Serve with Shake N Bake:
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes (with Crispy Skins)
- Apple Slaw with Celery Root
- Grilled Broccolini with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Balsamic Reduction & Cranberries
- Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream
- Arugula Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad with Pearl Couscous
Wine Pairings for Shake and Bake Pork Chops:
- Pork pairs awesomely with Pinot Noir. It’s a light bodied red that doesn’t overpower the flavors and the bright acidity is a nice match for the slight fattiness in the pork.
If you loved this homemade Shake N Bake I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Homemade Shake and Bake Recipe
Shake N Bake Pork Chops
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine bread crumbs, seasonings and oil in a bowl. Using a fork, mash to combine so that bread crumbs are uniformly combined with the oil.
- Place the Shake N Bake in a plastic Ziploc bag.
- One at a time, place your chops in the bag and shake to coat in the mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil (if desired) and bake for approximately 25 minutes, until cooked through.
This recipe was originally published in January 2015. It was updated in January 2020 to update the photos and add an instructional video. The recipe remains the same. Enjoy!