This Shake and Bake Pork Chops recipe is a homemade version of the classic dish you loved as a kid. Juicy pork chops are coated in a tasty breadcrumb mixture and baked until golden brown and delicious.
I have F.O.F. – Fear of Frying.
I believe that I have yet to make any recipe that calls for deep frying. I vow to someday get over that fear. BUT I get nervous around a pot of hot oil. It seems like you have to have the temperature just right, and I always worry that my coating is not going to stick, the meat will be raw inside, it will be too greasy, etc. etc. etc.
Definite fear of frying!
For now baking is my friend. Plus, obviously, it’s a healthier option.
That’s why I love this homemade Shake and Bake recipe.
Shake N Bake is manufactured by Kraft Foods and was first introduced in 1965. With slogans such as “Shake N Bake: It’s better than frying”, and “Why fry? Shake N Bake” it has been marketed as a healthier and less-greasy alternative to frying.
It’s a flavored bread crumb-style coating for chicken and pork that comes with a baggie for you to shake your meat in order to cover it with the breading mixture.
I remember eating Shake and Bake as a kid, growing up. That was quite a while ago, but I’ve got to say that I think this version tastes pretty similar!
Pour your breadcrumb mixture into a Ziploc baggie and shake until your chops (or chicken pieces) are coated in the crumb mixture. Then bake until the coating gets nice and brown and crispy.
It’s a quick weeknight dinner that the whole family will love!
🛒 Ingredients needed
- Plain Bread Crumbs
- Canola Oil – Or another neutral oil like vegetable oil.
- Spices – Seasoning salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, sugar, dried oregano, parsley and black pepper.
📋 Shake and Bake directions
You can make pork, boneless chicken or bone in chicken.
How to bake Shake and Bake pork chops
Cook in a 425-degree oven for 25 minutes, until the internal temperature registers 145-degrees on a meat thermometer. I prefer to use boneless pork chops for this recipe, but you can also use bone-in pork chops.
If you’re cooking other items alongside your pork chops, you can adjust the temperature:
- Cook pork chops at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Cook pork chops at 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Cook pork chops at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
How to air fry Shake and Bake pork chops
To make air fryer shake and bake pork chops, cook at 400-degrees for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
How to make Shake and Bake chicken legs (bone-in chicken)
Cook in a 400-degree oven for 35-40 minutes, until the juices run clear and an instant read thermometer registers 165-degrees.
How to make Shake and Bake chicken breasts (boneless)
Cook in a 400-degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until the juices run clear and an instant read thermometer registers 165-degrees.
🕕 How to store and reheat
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to three days. To reheat, bake in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Or, pop them in an air fryer basket and cook at 350-degrees for 4-5 minutes.
🍽 What to serve with them
- Glazed Carrots
- Vinegar Coleslaw
- Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream
- Arugula Salad
- Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
- Mexican Street Corn Salad with Pearl Couscous
- Click here for 45+ MORE side dishes for pork chops
🍷 Wine pairings
- Pork pairs awesomely with Pinot Noir. It’s a light bodied red that doesn’t overpower the flavors and the bright acidity is a nice match for the slight fattiness in the pork.
- READ MORE —> The best wine pairings for pork chops.
🥓 More pork recipes
- Pork Chops with Cherry Sauce
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops
- Pork Piccata (30 Minute Easy Recipe)
- Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- Instant Pot Cuban Mojo Pork
- Instant Pot Carnitas
- More → 35+ Easy Boneless Pork Chop Recipes
Did you try this homemade Shake n Bake recipe?
If you loved these Shake n Bake Pork Chops I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Homemade Shake and Bake Pork Chops Recipe
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine bread crumbs, seasonings and oil in a bowl. Using a fork, mash to combine so that bread crumbs are uniformly combined with the oil.
- Place the Shake N Bake in a plastic Ziploc bag.
- One at a time, place your chops in the bag and shake to coat in the mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil (if desired) and bake for approximately 25 minutes, until cooked through.
This recipe was originally published in 2015. It was updated in 2023. The recipe remains the same. Enjoy!