Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup can be made easy with your crockpot. Just add all the ingredients to your slow cooker and go! Serve it up with crispy tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream & cheddar cheese.
Though the slow cooker doesn’t cook things as quickly as the instant pot, I do love it for the fact that you can just dump everything into the crockpot in the morning, and then have dinner waiting for you in the evening. It’s especially useful if you work during the day, or if you’re out and about with the kids, or if you have a potluck to attend.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a recipe that I’ve been making for years.
I especially love it since it’s one of those recipes where you can just dump everything into the pot and let it cook away. There’s no pre-browning of the chicken, no sauteeing ingredients, etc. You can even add everything to the slow cooker liner the night before, stick it in the fridge, and put it in the crockpot the next morning. That makes things extra easy!
How Do You Make Chicken Tortilla Soup Easy?
- Just add all the ingredients to the slow cooker and go! There’s no need to brown the chicken or the onion.
- For extra easy clean-up, look into these slow cooker liners. When you’re done cooking, just peel out the liner and toss. No clean up!
Ingredients in Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Chicken breasts, canned tomatoes, jarred salsa, canned beans, onion, jalapeno, bell pepper and Mexican spices are added to the crockpot and simmer away to give this soup its delicious flavor.
What Do You Top Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup With?
- Crunchy tortilla chips
- Cheddar cheese
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Hot Sauce
Are you still using your slow cooker? What are some of your favorite crockpot recipes? I’d love to hear in the comments below!
Also, if you loved this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me onInstagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 5 cups bone broth (or chicken stock)
- 4 corn tortillas (torn into small pieces)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 15-ounce can pinto beans (drained and rinsed )
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 large onion (minced )
- 2 jalapenos (chopped (seeds and veins removed))
- 1 bell pepper (chopped )
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 4 Tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt (to taste)
- Cheddar cheese (shredded, for topping)
- Crunchy tortilla chips (for topping)
- Avocado (for topping)
- Greek yogurt or sour cream (for topping)
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
- Pull out chicken using tongs and shred with two forks. Return to pot.
- Adjust seasonings by adding salt, extra cayenne, etc. Serve.
Wine Pairings for Chicken Tortilla Soup:
- Look for lighter-bodied, fruit-focused reds like Beaujolais or Grenache.
- Alternatively, a Malbec or Tempranillo will be a bit heavier, but compliment the smoky-spicy flavors in this soup.
Looking for more soup recipes? Be sure to try these too: