This homemade chili seasoning recipe is made with simple herbs and spices (that are probably already in your cupboard). Use this seasoning mix to season 1 pound of meat.
This is the best chili seasoning mix because it’s made with a handful of simple ingredients, seasons meat, veggies, and stews perfectly, and stays fresh for up to 1 year! You’ll never need to buy a store-bought packet again with this recipe in your back pocket.
A packet of chili seasoning mix is usually needed in most homemade chili recipes. This mix is usually made from simple spices and herbs you probably already have in your cupboard, so why waste your money? It’s very easy to make yourself using 7 spices, plus can be used for so much more than just chili.
Chili seasoning from scratch is the best way to take White Chicken Chili or Beef and Beer Chili up a notch, but it can be used to bring flavor, spice, and warmth to all kinds of dishes. Rub it onto meat before roasting or grilling, sprinkle a little on roasted potatoes, or stir some into mac and cheese! There are endless ways to use homemade chili seasoning.
What is chili seasoning mix made of?
I’ll bet you already have most, if not all of these simple herbs and spices already in your cupboard:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
How to use homemade chili seasoning
It just wouldn’t be a hearty pot of chili without the smoky seasoning! Use a sprinkle of the seasoning in my Instant Pot chili, buffalo chicken chili, sweet potato chili, and vegetarian chili.
Did you know that chili seasoning can be used for so. much. more. than chili? Here are some of the best ways to use it:
- Meat dry rub: This chili seasoning recipe makes enough to season 1 pound of roasted or grilled meat, making it the perfect dry rub for a roasted whole chicken, pork chops, chicken drumsticks, chicken wings, or beef ribs.
- Seasoning vegetables: Use it to season roasted potatoes, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, or squash. Sprinkle a little over corn on the cob to bring more flavor to each bite.
- In mac and cheese: It’d be the perfect addition to this chili mac and cheese or to liven up regular mac and cheese.
- On popcorn. Sprinkle some on a bowl of popcorn with some nutritional yeast.
- On french fries. Give fries an extra kick.
- In Mexican-inspired dishes: Stir the chili seasoning into sauteed ground beef or ground turkey for tacos, into hearty pinto beans, use it on my salsa chicken, or sprinkle a little over homemade tortilla chips to take the flavor up a notch.
How to store it
You can use the seasoning mix immediately or store it in a sealed container or jar in a cool, dry place for up to one year.
This homemade chili seasoning mix can be customized in a few ways to fit what your taste buds prefer:
- Smoky: Add 1 to 2 teaspoons smoked paprika or substitute chipotle chili powder for the regular chili powder.
- Spicy: Increase the cayenne pepper to ½ teaspoon or add a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Herby: Either increase the oregano to 1 ½ to 2 teaspoons, add 1 teaspoon of dried basil and thyme, or use all three.
- Savory: Add ½ teaspoon of onion powder.
- Warmth: Add ½ teaspoon of cinnamon.
More homemade spice mixes
- Taco Seasoning
- Chicken Wing Rub for Smoking
- Italian Seasoning
- Toasted Rice Powder
- Cajun Seasoning
- Everything Bagel Seasoning
Did you try this DIY chili seasoning?
If you thought this was the best chili seasoning recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would leave a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
For more great Platings and Pairings recipes, be sure to follow me on Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest and Facebook.
Chili Seasoning Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl until well combined.
Check out the homemade chili mix web story here.
1 thought on “The BEST Chili Seasoning Recipe (Easy + Homemade)”
great, love being able to make these from scratch, and tweak here and there to taste, much better than a chili spice packet! thank you