This Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken is an EASY recipe made with just 5-ingredients! Use it as a filling for Chicken Tacos or Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps. Slow cookers are old school cool. Who doesn’t love a good slow cooker recipe? This one seems just too easy to be a keeper – But it is!
Update: I’m now occasionally making this Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot.
Sometimes slow cooker recipes can turn out to be lacking in flavor, but this one really stands out. The addition of an entire jar of salsa really kicks up the spice factor. Throw in some fresh onion and jalapeno and you’d never have anyone believing that it took you five minutes to throw this together. Plus, this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken can be made with only 5-ingredients!
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts
- Jar of Salsa
- Taco Seasoning
How to Make Salsa Chicken in Crock Pot
- It’s super easy to make this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken. Rub the chicken breasts with taco seasoning, place them in the crock pot and then sprinkle the chopped jalapeno and onion on top. Pour in the salsa and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or up to 8 hours.
Can You Freeze Salsa Chicken?
- Salsa Chicken will store in the freezer for up to three months. I like to portion it into individual ziploc bags and freeze it flat. Then, when you’re ready to use it, just thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and heat it up in a saucepan on the stove.
What to Do With Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- Serve it taco-style in soft or hard shells.
- Serve it in lettuce wraps for a low carb option.
- Serve it bowl style on top of rice or quinoa, with your favorite toppings.
- Serve it as a salad.
If you loved this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Wine Pairings for Chicken Tacos:
- A medium-bodied, wine with some good citrus to it makes a great match for these fish tacos. Try a Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, or Vinho Verde.
- For a cocktail option, try this Hibiscus Margarita.
- Salmon Tacos with Blackberry Corn Relish
- Quinoa Taco Bowls
- Korean Tacos with Bulgogi Beef
- Taco Quinoa & Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Tacos
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Recipe
Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken // Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 1 1/2 pounds Foster Farms Air Chilled Chicken Breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and sliced)
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa
- 1 onion (diced)
- Salt (to taste (about 1 teaspoon))
- Butter lettuce leaves (for wrapping)
- Avocado (for topping)
- Hot sauce (for topping)
- Greek yogurt or sour cream (for topping)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (for topping)
- Cilantro (for topping)
- Rub chicken breasts with taco seasoning and place in bottom of slow cooker.
- Spread chopped onion and jalapeno over chicken breasts. Pour salsa over top.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours. (Can leave on low for up to 8 hours)
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and shred with forks. Place chicken back in slow cooker and stir to combine. Season with salt, to taste.
- To serve, spread chicken on lettuce leaves and top with any desired toppings.