This Crockpot Salsa Chicken is an EASY recipe made with just 5-ingredients! Just dump everything into your crockpot and you’re good to go. Use it as a filling for crockpot salsa chicken tacos or lettuce wraps.
Crockpots are old school cool.
Who doesn’t love a good slow cooker recipe?
This one seems just too easy to be a keeper – But it is!
Sometimes slow cooker recipes can turn out to be lacking in flavor, but this one really stands out. The addition of an entire jar of salsa really kicks up the spice factor. Throw in some fresh onion and jalapeno and no one would believe that it only took you five minutes to throw this together.
Plus, this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken can be made with only 5-ingredients!
Crockpot Salsa Chicken ingredients:
- Chicken Breasts
- Jar of Salsa
- Taco Seasoning
How to make Salsa Chicken in the Crock Pot:
- It’s super easy to make this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken! Just rub the chicken breasts with taco seasoning, place them in the crock pot and then sprinkle the chopped jalapeno and onion on top. Pour in a jar of salsa and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or up to 8 hours.
Salsa Chicken FAQ:
Because of food safety issues, it’s not recommended that you put frozen chicken in the slow cooker. A work around for this is to thaw your chicken in the microwave first.
Definitely! The cook time will remain the same.
Yes. For best results, use the recommended cook time of 4-5 hours on LOW. If necessary, the chicken can be in the crockpot for up to 8 hours, but it will increase in dryness the longer it cooks.
Salsa Chicken will store in the freezer for up to three months. I like to portion it into individual ziploc bags and freeze it flat. Then, when you’re ready to use it, just thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and heat it up in a saucepan on the stove.
What to do with Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken:
- Serve it taco-style in soft or hard shells.
- Serve it in lettuce wraps for a low carb option.
- Serve it bowl style on top of instant pot rice or instant pot quinoa, with your favorite toppings.
- Serve it as a salad.
Crockpot Salsa Chicken Variations:
- Crockpot Salsa Verde Chicken: Swap out the traditional red salsa for salsa verde.
- Crockpot Salsa Chicken with Cream Cheese: For a creamy version of this dish, add an 8-ounce block of cream cheese to the crockpot before starting the cook time.
- Cream Cheese Salsa Chicken: Add an 8-oz. block of cream cheese to your slow cooker with the other ingredients.
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken: For an even faster way to enjoy dinner.
If you loved this Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Wine pairings for Chicken Tacos:
- A medium-bodied, wine with some good citrus to it makes a great match for these fish tacos. Try a Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, or Vinho Verde.
- For a cocktail option, try this Hibiscus Margarita.
More taco recipes:
- Salmon Tacos with Blackberry Corn Relish
- Quinoa Taco Bowls
- Korean Tacos with Bulgogi Beef
- Taco Quinoa & Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Tacos
Want an even faster version of this recipe? Try my Salsa Chicken in the Instant Pot.
Crockpot Salsa Chicken Recipe
Crockpot Salsa Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and sliced)
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa
- 1 onion (diced)
- Salt (to taste (about 1 teaspoon))
- Butter lettuce leaves (for wrapping)
- Avocado (for topping)
- Hot sauce (for topping)
- Greek yogurt or sour cream (for topping)
- Shredded cheddar cheese (for topping)
- Cilantro (for topping)
- Rub chicken breasts with taco seasoning and place in bottom of slow cooker.
- Spread chopped onion and jalapeno over chicken breasts. Pour salsa over top.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours. (Can leave on low for up to 8 hours)
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and shred with forks. Place chicken back in slow cooker and stir to combine. Season with salt, to taste.
- To serve, spread chicken on lettuce leaves and top with any desired toppings.