Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps can be made in just 20 minutes with the help of your electric pressure cooker and five simple ingredients.
One of the first recipes I posted on this blog was for Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps. The pictures are embarrassingly horrible and the blog post is all of two short paragraphs. Still, it’s a recipe that I make quite often, but even more now, I make that recipe in my Instant Pot.
Instead of cooking the chicken for 4-5 hours on low in my crockpot, I throw the chicken into my Instant Pot and let it cook for just 20 minutes. You can even throw frozen chicken breasts right in – The cooking time will be the same!
How to Make Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
The process is simple. Rub the chicken breasts with a bit of taco seasoning, throw in one diced onion and one diced jalapeno and then top it all off with a jar of salsa. The result is juicy (never dry) chicken that shreds easily and is super flavorful. Also, because you’re using jarred salsa, it’s easy to control the heat by purchasing salsa that’s your desired heat level – mild, medium or hot.
How to Serve Salsa Chicken
I like to load the shredded salsa chicken up into the lettuce wraps and then top them with avocado, Greek yogurt, cheese and cilantro and then drizzle some hot sauce over the top. However, you could also serve this shredded chicken in traditional taco shells or over rice to make burrito bowls. The personalization is totally up to you and I think that’s what makes this recipe fun. On the side, consider serving up some seasoned black beans and rice (or even cauliflower rice for a low carb option).
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Steak Carnitas Bowls
- Quinoa Taco Bowls with Guacamole
- Taco Zucchini Boats
- Salmon Tacos with Blackberry Corn Relish
Wine Pairings for Salsa Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps:
•Look for lighter-bodied, fruit-focused reds like Beaujolais or Grenache.
•Alternatively, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris and Vinho Verde are good white wine pairing options.
If you loved this Instant Pot Salsa Chicken recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Salsa Chicken Taco Lettuce Wraps
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 onion diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and sliced
- 1 16-ounce jar salsa
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- Butter lettuce leaves for wrapping
- Sliced Radishes for topping
- Avocado for topping
- La Victoria Red Taco Sauce for topping
- Greek yogurt or sour cream for topping
- Shredded cheddar cheese for topping
- Cilantro for topping
- Lime wedges
- Rub chicken breasts with taco seasoning and place in bottom of Instant Pot.
- Spread chopped onion and jalapeno over chicken breasts. Pour salsa over top.
- Seal the Instant Pot and set to HIGH pressure for 20 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to release naturally. This should take 10-15 minutes.
- Remove chicken breasts from Instant Pot and shred with two forks. Place chicken back in Instant Pot and stir to combine. Season with salt, to taste.
- To serve, spread chicken on lettuce leaves and top with any desired toppings.