Taco Zucchini Boats are filled with taco seasoned turkey and topped with melted cheese and your favorite toppings. A low-carb, keto-friendly way to enjoy taco night. You won’t miss the tortilla!
I’m always on the hunt for healthier ways to make my favorite dishes, and zucchini seems to always be one of my favorite swaps, like swapping out half my regular pasta for zucchini noodles in this Linguini Recipe with Fried Capers and Fresh Herbs. Making a healthier version of lasagna via these Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups. Or enjoying fries more guilt free with these Air Fryer Zucchini Fries.
Tonight, I’m making taco night healthier with three simple swaps:
- I’m swapping out the taco shells and making taco zucchini boats instead.
- I’m using lean ground turkey in place of ground beef.
- I’m using corn oil – a heart-healthy & cholesterol free oil.
How to Make Taco Zucchini Boats
- To make zucchini boats, cut the zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out the pulp, leaving 1/4″ shells.
Before filling and placing the zucchini boats on the grill, drizzle them with oil and season them with salt and pepper. I’m using corn oil in this recipe. It’s perfect for grilling because it has a smoke point higher than most cooking oils at 450°F. I love having it on hand for so many of my recipes since it has a neutral taste that lets the true flavor of the dish stand out.
How to Make Taco Zucchini Boats on the Grill
- To grill zucchini boats, heat your grill to medium-high heat. Fill them with the taco filling mixture and top with additional cheese. Grill for 8-10 minutes until the zucchini is beginning to soften and the cheese is melted.
How to Bake Taco Zucchini Boats in the Oven
- To bake zucchini boats, heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Bake filled boats for 12-18 minutes until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted.
Are Taco Zucchini Boats Keto?
- Mexican zucchini boats are perfect to enjoy if you’re following a ketogenic diet. They are low carb and filled with protein from the turkey and cheese. Zucchini are a keto-friendly vegetable because they are grown above ground.
Stuffed Zucchini Boats Topping Ideas:
- Hawaiian – Ham, pineapple, red onions
- Caprese – Fresh chopped tomatoes, basil and a drizzle of reduced balsamic vinegar
- Pizza Zucchini Boats – Sausage, mozzarella, peppers, black olives, mushrooms.
If you loved this Zucchini Taco Boat recipe, I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More taco recipes:
- 7+ Tasty Taco Sauce Recipes
- Korean Tacos with Bulgogi Beef
- Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Instant Pot Cuban Mojo Pork
- Sweet Potato Tacos with Chipotle Crema
- Cauliflower Tacos with Cilantro Lime Crema
- MORE —> Healthy Taco Side Dishes
More Zucchini Recipes:
- Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Sriracha Glazed Salmon with Zucchini Noodles
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Vegetarian Zucchini Lasagna Roll-Ups
Taco Zucchini Boats Recipe
Taco Zucchini Boats
- 4 medium zucchini (ends cut off and cut in half lengthwise)
- 3 Tablespoons corn oil (divided)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- ½ small onion (minced)
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 ounces canned tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup mexican shredded cheese (divided)
- 2 Tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Red Onion
- Black Olives
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise; scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-in. shells.
- Drizzle with 2 Tablespoons oil. Rub the oil over the zucchini so it is well coated. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining Tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 2-3 minutes, until beginning to soften.
- Add ground turkey and spices and cook, breaking up occasionally until just cooked through.
- Stir in tomato sauce and water and bring to a simmer then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer until sauce has reduced, about 5 minutes. Stir in half the cheese, cilantro and lime juice.
- Spoon turkey taco filling into zucchini, sprinkle with remaining cheese and grill, covered, until zucchini is tender, 8-10 minutes.
- To bake zucchini boats, heat your oven to 400-degrees. Baked filled boats for 12-18 minutes until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted.