Dive into a bowl of this healthy and creamy zucchini soup. It’s the perfect way to use up fresh or frozen garden zucchini
I can’t think of another vegetable that comes in waves like zucchini. One week there’s none to be found and the next your kitchen is overflowing with this green squash, just waiting to be used up.
Whether you make this soup with fresh zucchini or pull frozen zucchini out of the freezer that’s been saved from the summer’s harvest, this is a simple and savory way to enjoy it. While you’re at it, whip up a loaf of zucchini bread and some zucchini pizza boats.
One of my favorite things about this cream of zucchini soup (besides the amazing flavor) is how healthy it is – it doesn’t even use cream! Plus, it comes in at under 200-calories per bowl. And it’s absolutely delicious with a splash of lemon juice and curry.
The silky texture comes from blended zucchini. You can even make this dairy-free by substituting the butter for dairy-free butter or oil.
🛒 Zucchini soup ingredients
- Oil – Extra virgin olive oil or any light-tasting oil.
- Butter – Unsalted butter (can omit and use a little extra oil if making dairy-free).
- Shallot – If needed, substitute shallot for half the amount of yellow onion.
- Garlic – Use the freshest garlic you can find for the best flavor!
- Zucchini – Use whole zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick slices. Can use fresh or frozen. Save a little extra for garnish if desired.
- Vegetable broth– Can substitute bone broth or chicken broth if needed for added nutrients.
- Lemon juice
- Curry powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
📋 How to make it
Heat the olive oil and butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the shallot, and a pinch of salt and saute for 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
Add the zucchini and cook until softened.
Add the curry, cayenne, and stock, bringing the mixture to a simmer. Continue to simmer until the zucchini is very soft, about 10 minutes.
Using an immersion blender (or blend in batches with a blender), puree until smooth.
Add lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Garnish with julienned zucchini, if desired, and serve warm or chilled.
🍵 Using frozen zucchini for soup
When you have baskets of garden fresh zucchini, or they’re on a major sale at the store during the summer harvest, freeze what you can to make this soup all year long.
To freeze zucchini, chop it into 1-inch pieces and quickly blanch it by adding it to a large pot of boiling water for 1-2 minutes before submerging the chopped zucchini into an ice bath.
Dry the zucchini well by letting it sit on a tea towel or paper towel, then place it on a parchment-lined pan in the freezer for 1-2 hours until firm before adding it to an airtight container or bag in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To use frozen zucchini for this soup, just take the zucchini directly from the freezer to the pan, no need to thaw it first.
🕕 How to store and reheat recipe
Once you make this creamy zucchini soup, let it cool then store any extras in a glass bowl with a lid in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
For longer storage, you can freeze this soup for up to 3 months in an airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before warming and serving.
🍽 What to serve with cream of zucchini soup
While this zucchini soup is delicious, it’s not quite hearty enough to be a meal by itself. Make a complete meal by serving this soup with and alongside:
- A hearty piece of toasted and buttered french bread
- A dollop of sour cream
- Cubano Sandwiches
- Wedge Salad
- Avocado Chickpea Salad
ℹ️ Recipe FAQs
This cream of zucchini soup is made of zucchini, garlic, shallots, broth, oil, and seasonings. No cream is needed to make this soup silky smooth.
Leaving the peel on, cut zucchini into ½ to 1-inch chunks so that everything cooks evenly.
Yes! This soup freezes very well, making it perfect for batch cooking. Just store it in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours before serving
🥣 More Vegetable Soup Recipes
If you loved this zucchini soup, you’ll love these other fresh veggie soups!
- Instant Pot Minestrone
- Sous Vide Carrot Ginger Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Slow Cooker Cauliflower Soup
⭐️ More Zucchini Recipes
- Zucchini Noodles with Fresh Herbs & Fried Capers
- Zucchini Pasta Salad
- Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Flank Steak with Zucchini & Whipped Feta
- The BEST Zucchini Bread
- Spaghetti Alla Nerano (Spaghetti with Zucchini)
Did you try this healthy zucchini soup recipe?
If you loved this cream of zucchini soup, I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a ⭐️star review⭐️! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Creamy Zucchini Soup Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot (minced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini (halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 3 medium zucchini))
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Pinch cayenne
- Kosher salt + pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock (bone broth, or low-sodium chicken broth)
- Julienned raw zucchini (to garnish (optional))
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the shallot and season with a pinch of salt. Saute for 7-8 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the zucchini and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the curry, cayenne and stock and bring to a simmer; cook until the zucchini is very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, or a blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and add the lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with julienned zucchini, if desired.
- Serve warm or chilled.