This Buffalo Chicken Chili features all the flavors of your favorite finger food in a spicy chili. It’s a healthy, hearty way to enjoy buffalo wings in a new way!
I have to say that I’m a bit of a Buffalo Wing snob. I grew up near Buffalo and had access to some pretty darn good wings. People in Western NY are particular about their wings. They CAN’T be boneless, they have to use Frank’s Red Hot sauce, and they’re served with blue cheese NOT ranch.
I’m now a full-day flight to Western NY and I haven’t found any wings out here on the West Coast to compete with the real deal. Here in Portland, it seems to be more about the Vietnamese Chicken Wings, which Pok Pok made famous. And, while, they’re also fantastic, they’re just not quite the same for me….
So… what do I do? Whip up a batch of Buffalo Chicken Chili. It’s still got the great flavor of the Frank’s, you can taste the crispy celery, AND it’s got beer in it! Plus, the addition of refried beans gives it a great, thick and hearty texture that’ll warm you right up on chilly Fall days. For me, it’s comfort food at its finest. I like to make a big batch on the weekend, and then enjoy it all week for lunch. Why is it that chili seems to taste even better when it’s leftover?
Are you a lover of buffalo wings like me? If so, do you consider yourself a purist – Eating only the bone-in variety, or do you go for boneless, and perhaps even some ranch dressing on the side? Would you dig into a bowl of this Buffalo Chicken Chili?
Buffalo Chicken Chili Recipe
Buffalo Chicken Chili
- 1 pound lean ground chicken or turkey
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion minced
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 15.5 ounce can great northern beans undrained
- 1 16 ounce can refried beans
- 1 cup bone broth or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup beer or water
- 1/2 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded Cheese
- Greek Yogurt/Sour Cream
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pan or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown the ground chicken, breaking up the meat into small pieces until cooked through, about 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
In the same (now empty) pan add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and a pinch of salt and pepper, and cook stirring until the vegetables soften, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add white beans, refried beans, chicken broth, beer, hot sauce and chicken, bring to a boil and simmer covered on medium-low about 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Top with shredded cheese, greek yogurt/sour cream, green onions, as desired.
This post was originally published in October 2014. It was updated in March 2019 with new pictures. The original recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
If you loved this Buffalo Chicken Chili recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished bowl and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Wine Pairings for Buffalo Chicken Chili:
- Beer and chili go great together! I chose a Kolsch to pair with my bowl, and added some to the recipe as well.
- This also pairs well with a light lager with a squeeze of lime.
Looking for more chili recipes? Be sure to try these too: