Instant Pot Chili Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. Plus, it comes together in just 30 minutes with the help of your electric pressure cooker.
This Instant Pot Chili Mac and Cheese is the ultimate combination of two favorites – Chili and Mac ‘n Cheese.
In my book, things don’t get much better…
I guarantee that you will want to make this recipe over and over again! It’s loaded with beef, cheese, beans, tomatoes and all your favorite chili spices. Plus, the best part is that it’ll be on your dinner table in under 30 minutes!
How to Make Instant Pot Chili Mac and Cheese:
- Brown the ground beef and remove it to a paper towel lined plate.
- Cook the onion, garlic, and bell pepper.
- Add in the canned tomatoes, pasta, beans and broth. Cook on HIGH for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and enjoy!
What’s the Best Cheese for Chili Mac and Cheese?
- I love using sharp cheddar in this recipe. My favorite is from Cabot Creamery. I’m obsessed with their Vermont Sharp Cheddar Cheese because it’s got just the right bite and tang to it and it melts perfectly. It would also be great with Pepper Jack Cheese or Extra Sharp Cheddar.
This Instant Pot Chili Mac can easily be adjusted to suit your personal tastes:
- Not a fan of ground beef? You can also use ground turkey, or leave it out entirely for a vegetarian-friendly chili mac.
- Want more veggies? Add in a cup of frozen corn kernels, sliced zucchini or an extra bell pepper.
- Like more heat? Add in more cayenne pepper or chop up a jalapeno pepper and add that along with the bell pepper.
- Don’t like kidney beans? You can also use black beans, white beans, or leave the beans out entirely.
How Do I Make Chili Mac and Cheese on the Stove?
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can also make this Chili Mac on the stove. In Step 4, instead of sealing the instant pot and cooking, add the pasta to your pan and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
Instant Pot Chili Mac Recipe + VIDEO
Instant Pot Chili Mac & Cheese
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups bone broth (or chicken broth or beef broth)
- 14 oz can red kidney beans (drained)
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz elbow macaroni (uncooked (½ lb)(2 cups))
- 2 cups Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar (shredded)
- Cilantro (finely chopped for garnish)
- Sour cream (for topping)
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE, add ground beef and brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Drain fat.
- Add olive oil to pot. One hot, add onion and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Add red pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne. Saute 1 minute longer.
- Add broth and scrape browned bits from bottom of pot. Return ground beef to pot along with beans, tomatoes and macaroni. Stir, making sure that all pasta is covered with liquid.
- Cover and seal the lid - turn the vent to sealing. Hit CANCEL then press the MANUAL (high pressure) button and set the timer to 4 minutes. It will take about 15 minutes for Instant Pot to come to full pressure, then the display will show a countdown timer.
- When finished, quick-release the pressure before removing the lid. Stir in cheese and season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and sour cream. Enjoy!
If you loved this Instant Pot Chili Mac I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings.
I teamed up with Cabot Cheese to bring you this post. As always, all opinions are my own.
Wine Pairing with Chili Mac and Cheese:
- A Zinfandel pairs nicely with the sweet pepper flavors and sharp cheddar.
- If you’re looking for lighter wine option, try a Rosé or a Chenin Blanc. Both of these wines have enough body to stand up to this hearty dish.
Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Be sure to try these too: