Instant Pot Chili Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food. Plus, it comes together in just 30 minutes with the help of your electric pressure cooker.
This Instant Pot Chili Mac and Cheese is the ultimate combination of two favorites – Chili and Mac ‘n Cheese.
In my book, things don’t get much better…
I guarantee that you will want to make this recipe over and over again! It’s loaded with beef, cheese, beans, tomatoes and all your favorite chili spices. Plus, the best part is that it’ll be on your dinner table in under 30 minutes!
How to Make Instant Pot Chili Mac and Cheese:
- Brown the ground beef and remove it to a paper towel lined plate.
- Cook the onion, garlic, and bell pepper.
- Add in the canned tomatoes, pasta, beans and broth. Cook on HIGH for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and enjoy!
What spices go in chili mac?
- Add in your usual chili seasoning blend of chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne, and then let it all simmer for about 15 minutes.
What’s the Best Cheese for Chili Mac and Cheese?
- I love using sharp cheddar in this recipe. It would also be great with Pepper Jack Cheese or Extra Sharp Cheddar.
This Instant Pot Chili Mac can easily be adjusted to suit your personal tastes:
- Not a fan of ground beef? You can also use ground turkey, or leave it out entirely for a vegetarian-friendly chili mac.
- Want more veggies? Add in a cup of frozen corn kernels, sliced zucchini or an extra bell pepper.
- Like more heat? Add in more cayenne pepper or chop up a jalapeno pepper and add that along with the bell pepper.
- Don’t like kidney beans? You can also use black beans, white beans, or leave the beans out entirely.
How Do I Make Chili Mac and Cheese on the Stove?
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can also make this Chili Mac on the stove. In Step 4, instead of sealing the instant pot and cooking, add the pasta to your pan and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
Wine Pairing with Chili Mac and Cheese:
- A Zinfandel pairs nicely with the sweet pepper flavors and sharp cheddar.
- If you’re looking for lighter wine option, try a Rosé or a Chenin Blanc. Both of these wines have enough body to stand up to this hearty dish.
More chili recipes:
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili
- White Chicken Chili
- The Best Pumpkin Chili
- Chili Mac and Cheese
- Sweet Potato Chili
More Instant Pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes with Crispy Skins
- Instant Pot Split Pea Dal
- Instant Pot Steamed Artichokes
- Instant Pot Persian Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Authentic Italian Sunday Gravy
🍽 What to serve with it
- Blistered Shishito Peppers Recipe
- Smashed Brussel Sprouts with Lemon Tahini Sauce
- Grilled Broccolini with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- Roasted Miso Cauliflower
- More → 30+ sides for mac and cheese
If you loved this Instant Pot Chili Mac I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings.
Instant Pot Chili Mac & Cheese
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups bone broth (or chicken broth or beef broth)
- 14 oz can red kidney beans (drained)
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz elbow macaroni (uncooked (½ lb)(2 cups))
- 2 cups Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar (shredded)
- Cilantro (finely chopped for garnish)
- Sour cream (for topping)
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTE, add ground beef and brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate. Drain fat.
- Add olive oil to pot. One hot, add onion and saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Add red pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne. Saute 1 minute longer.
- Add broth and scrape browned bits from bottom of pot. Return ground beef to pot along with beans, tomatoes and macaroni. Stir, making sure that all pasta is covered with liquid.
- Cover and seal the lid – turn the vent to sealing. Hit CANCEL then press the MANUAL (high pressure) button and set the timer to 4 minutes. It will take about 15 minutes for Instant Pot to come to full pressure, then the display will show a countdown timer.
- When finished, quick-release the pressure before removing the lid. Stir in cheese and season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve garnished with cilantro and sour cream. Enjoy!
21 thoughts on “Instant Pot Chili Mac and Cheese”
I just shared this recipe with my mother-in-law. She got an InstaPot a month ago and told me she doesn’t really know what to cook yet. I told her I know a blogger who has a million brilliant InstaPot recipes!
Thanks Catherine!!! She is going to love her Instant Pot!
I love this! Keep these easy and comforting recipes coming (especially now that I FINALLY have an IP!). My kids will go crazy for this recipe!
Yay for the Instant Pot!!!
Yes, this is comfort food to the max! I added jalapeño and a little extra cayenne for some extra spice… it turned out perfect. Will be making this again before winter is over!
Ooh – Love that you added in some jalapeno Brooke!
So simple, easy, and fast. AND absolutely delicious. Love this recipe for when I’m looking for something high in protein and filling. I follow the recipe exactly and the whole family loves it.
We loved this… and It was quick and easy. Thanks for the recipe!
I’m so happy to hear that Jan!
How does the pasta hold up in this recipe? Is it soft or more al dente?
I just made this for my family and it was fantastic especially on this cold snowy day in MN. Thank you fOr sharing as I have book marked your site,
Thanks Paul! Stay warm!!!
Made multiple times. Perfect for a busy week night and the family gobbles it up. Thank you!
You’re welcome Megan – I’m glad it was a hit!
I have a question… as I have not made this yet, but it looks and sounds yummy! Is the nutritional information per serving, or total for the entire dish?
Hi Shelley – The nutritional information is per serving. Thanks for asking!
My noodles were still uncooked after 4 minutes of high pressure cooking.
This is the 3rd recipe I’ve made from your site and so far, all have been a home run!! This is by far THE best chili Mac recipe! (I did add a jalapeño, corn and an additional pepper.) Will definitely make this again. Next up on the docket is your salted Carmel banana bread!! Thanks so much for the wonderful recipes!!
You are so welcome Jennifer! Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by!
Noodles were perfect! So happy to find IP recipes that don’t require separate pasta cooking. Not sure if I prefer this or your IP Beef Stroganoff though. lol