Learn how to make the BEST Instant Pot Corn on the Cob. This pressure cooker corn on the cob recipe uses a simple, secret ingredient to guarantee that your corn is sweet, tender and delicious!
Growing up, my mom would always add a pinch of sugar to her pot of water when she was boiling corn on the cob. She said that it made the corn extra sweet and delicious. Today, I’m taking that methodology and modernizing it a bit, with the Instant Pot.
Using your pressure cooker to make corn on the cob is the easiest way to perfect corn every single time. Plus, it’s hands free. Meaning there’s no babysitting the pot of water to ensure that it doesn’t boil over. Plus, you can cook as many ears of corn at one time as you can fit in your Instant Pot. The cooking time will remain the same, regardless.
Only cooking for two? Just add two ears of corn to your pot. Have a large crowd coming over? I can fit at least six ears of corn in my 6-quart Instant Pot.
This is my favorite way to indulge in sweet summer corn with little effort!
Why cook corn in the Instant Pot?
- Quick and doesn’t heat up your house like the traditional method.
- One of the most reliable ways to cook perfect corn every single time!
- Results in the most juicy corn.
- Hands Free! There’s no watching the stove or wondering when it is done!
How to make Instant Pot corn on the cob
- Remove the husks from the corn.
- Place a trivet in the bottom of the pot and add a cup of water and sugar.
- Place the corn on top of the trivet.
- Seal the pot and quick release the pressure and use tongs to remove the cobs of corn from the pot.
How long does it take to pressure cook corn on the cob?
A 3 minute cook time is all you need to make tender corn in the instant pot. However, you’ll need to account for the time it takes for the instant pot to come to pressure and release pressure, which will add about 10 minutes.
So, you’re looking at about 15 minutes time in total. However, bringing a large stock pot of boiling water to temperature would take that much time alone.
How to cook frozen corn in the Instant Pot
- You can cook frozen corn cobs in the Instant Pot. Simply increase the cook time from 3 minutes to 4 minutes.
When is corn on the cob in season?
- Depending on the area you live in, you can generally find fresh corn on the cob available from May – November.
Tips for making the BEST corn on the cob
- Remove the husks from your corn right before cooking to preserve flavor.
- Ensure the corn isn’t sitting in water. Use a trivet to lift the corn above the water level.
- Add a pinch of sugar to the water for extra sweetness.
- Don’t overcook it. 3 minutes is all it takes, regardless of how many ears you’re cooking.
Tools used to make Instant Pot corn on the cob
How to store corn on the cob
- Fresh corn on the cob is best stored in the refrigerator, with the husks on, until you’re ready to use it. The husks preserve flavor and freshness. If you’d like to husk ahead of time, store the corn in a ziploc bag and use in within 3 days.
To Freeze Kernels: Cut the cooked corn kernels off the cob with a knife. I like to stand up my ear of corn in the hole of an upside down bundt pan and then slice around it. This helps keep those run away kernels at bay. Then, add the kernels to a freezer-safe bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Use cooked corn to make…
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Tacos
- Mexican Street Corn Soup
- More → 30+ Corn Recipes
What goes with corn on the cob?
- Easy Roasted Chicken
- Air Fryer Meatloaf
- Homemade Shake N Bake Pork Chops
- Peruvian Grilled Chicken with Creamy Green Sauce
- Grilled Lamb Kebabs with Basil Tahini Sauce
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Charred Lemon Chimichurri
More Instant Pot recipes
- Instant Pot Bean Soup with Pesto
- Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- The BEST Instant Pot Chili
- Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup
- Instant Pot Chili Mac and Cheese
Did you make this pressure cooker corn on the cob?
If you loved this easy instant pot corn recipe, I would appreciate it so much if you would leave a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Instant Pot Corn on the Cob Recipe
- Add trivet to the Instant Pot and add water and sugar.
- Place corn in the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lid and set the valve to sealing. Cook on MANUAL (High Pressurfor 3 minutes.
- When the time is up, quick release any remaining pressure and then remove the lid.
- Use tongs to carefully remove the hot ears of corn from the pot.
This post was originally published in 2019. It was updated in 2022 to add new information. The recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
Watch the web story here.