These Greek Nachos with Hummus are topped with crumbly feta cheese, cherry tomatoes, pepperoncini, Kalamata olives and a tangy tzatziki sauce. They make a perfect party appetizer and are vegetarian friendly!
These Greek Nachos topped with hummus became my dinner last week… Rick was out of town, and I didn’t feel like cooking an entire meal just for myself, so I set out to do some snacking instead… along with a little bit Real Housewives binge watching…
Back to these beauties ↓ ↓ ↓
I’ve been pondering nachos a lot lately. There are just so many variations out there.
For example, a couple summers back, while visiting my mom in New York, we visited a restaurant on Lake Chautauqua that served up Italian Nachos. They were topped with alfredo sauce, tomatoes and ground beef. So yummy! I’ve definitely been wanting to recreate those at home.
And then there are the Poke Nachos – delicate wonton chips topped with ahi tuna, green onions and creamy spicy mayo.
Tonight, I let my fridge do the dictating. And came up with these Greek style nachos.
I had some fresh pitas on hand, along with some creamy hummus, and even some Kalamata olives and feta cheese.
And, who doesn’t have half empty jar of pepperoncini sitting in their fridge?
Just me? I used to eat those peppers by the bowlful in high school and college. A Costco sized jar would always be on hand and I’d eat them one after the other until I could barely taste anything anymore because my mouth was on fire…
The pita chips are simple. I just use some kitchen shears, or a large knife, to cut the pita bread into wedges. A drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of spices – cumin being my particular favorite – and salt and pepper, bake until they’re golden and then get ready to do some topping.
You can also use store-bought pita chips in this recipe.
I put a huge dollop of hummus in the middle of the plate. Because, for me, the hummus is the star of the show. Creamy, tangy and the perfect way to get all those other bits to stick to your pita chips.
Toppings for Greek Nachos
- Feta Cheese
- Kalamata Olives
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Red Onion (or quick pickled onions)
- Add some protein to your nachos by topping them with some browned ground lamb or sliced cooked chicken breasts.
- Swap the tzatziki sauce for this yummy yogurt tahini sauce.
- Sprinkle on some fresh dill or mint for a vibrant punch.
- The citrus and grassy, herbal notes of Sauvignon Blanc will pair nicely with the briny pepperoncini and fresh parsley on these Mediterranean Nachos.
- Another fun wine pairing option is a Vinho Verde – Its slight effervescence is a nice compliment to the creamy hummus.
More Appetizer Recipes
- Pimento Cheese Arancini
- Steak Bites
- Prosciutto Wrapped Avocado Bites
- Filet Mignon Bites with Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- Sausage Bites with Creamy Mustard
Did you make these Greek Nachos?
Please leave a comment and rating below, if you loved this recipe for Greek Nachos. Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
PS – If you loved these Mediterranean Nachos, be sure to try my Irish Nachos too!
Easy Greek Nachos Recipe
- 3 pita pockets (cut into 8 wedges (or you can use store bought pita chips))
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Olive oil for drizzling
- ¾ cup hummus
- 1 cup feta cheese (cut into small cubes)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives (chopped)
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- ½ cup sliced pepperoncinis
- 1/4 red onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Coarsely grate the cucumber using a box grater or food processor. Then wrap in paper towels or a tea towel and squeeze to remove excess liquid.
- Place cucumber in a bowl. Add remaining ingredients then mix to combine. Set aside for at least 20 minutes for the flavors combine.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place pita wedges on a baking sheet and season with cumin and salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 10-12 minutes, until crisp. Place on a plate or large platter.
- To build your nachos, start with the pita chips on the bottom and top with hummus, tzatziki, feta cheese, olives, tomatoes, pepperoncinis, onion and parsley.
This recipe was originally published in 2017. It was updated in 2021 to add new photographs, and again in 2023 to add new content. The hummus nachos recipe remains the same. Enjoy!