This Daikon Radish Salad is dressed simply in a garlic vinaigrette and sprinkled with Korean red pepper powder for a bit of heat.
I hit up the Korean market in our town because I’m cooking up a batch of homemade kimchi – An experiment that I hope goes well – It needs to ferment for about a month before I’ll know for sure 😉 (more on that later)…
Anyways, if you’ve never been to an Asian foods market, you’re in for a treat and an experience! There are all kinds of food that you’ve never seen in an American market – dried shrimp, hundreds of different chili powders, fresh fish, kimchi that comes in Costco sized jars (why am I making my own?), and on and on… I could spend a few hours in that place.
The Asian foods store is a bit confusing though! I wonder, am I picking the right chili powder, or is this a brand that no one buys? What about these little dried shrimp? Does everyone know I’m making kimchi just because I have those in my basket?
Well, all that shopping got me hungry, and, when I was finished making above said kimchi, I had some leftover radish and Korean red pepper powder on my hands. So, I used my nifty julienne tool to shred up the daikon and decided to toss this Daikon Radish Salad together.
It came together in just 15-minutes and I couldn’t wait to dig in! It was sweet and sour and tangy and spicy, and so good.
Daikon Radish Salad Ingredients:
- Daikon Radish
- Korean Red Pepper Powder
- Green Onions
What to Serve with Daikon Radish Salad:
- 30-Minute Thai Beef Salad
- Summer Chicken Cobb Salad
- Kale Caesar Salad with Chicken
- Mediterranean Chickpea & Tuna Salad
If you loved this Daikon Radish Salad recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Daikon Radish Recipe
Daikon Radish Salad
- 1 pound daikon radish white Korean radish
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Korean red pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons white vinegar
- Peel the radish and cut into really thin strips. (I used a julienne peeler for this)
- Place the radish in a medium bowl and toss with red pepper powder, sugar, salt, green onion and garlic.
- Sprinkle the mixture with vinegar and mix well.
- Adjust to taste, adding additional salt, sugar or vinegar, if needed.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.