Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Green Tahini Sauce are perfect for summer barbeques and so simple to prepare.
A few years back, I made this recipe in a cooking competition against about 15 other food bloggers and it won!
How’s that for a screaming endorsement for you right off the bat?
Another reason to make this recipe? It will take you all of 20 minutes!
You need these Grilled Shrimp Skewers in your life this grilling season!
In that cooking competition, we were told that we’d be cooking for a group of 50. So, I looked back in my “easy recipe” arsenal and immediately thought of my Mojo Sauce. That bright green, piquant sauce loaded with cilantro, parsley, garlic and jalapeno. Not only is it the perfect sauce for topping grilled meats, but it also comes together in like, seriously, five minutes with the help of your blender.
But, I wanted to change things up a bit for this recipe that I was entering. So, this time, to that sauce, I swirled in a bit of tahini and popped in an extra clove of garlic. The sauce transformed into a more creamy, nutty version of itself and now it’s hard to say which I prefer…
These shrimp skewers would also be delicious served with some cilantro lime crema or chipotle crema. Or, serve them on top of this cold cucumber soup.
Shrimp will cook up super quick on your hot grill. They should take about 5 minutes total, depending on your heat level. Just keep an eye on them. When they’re pink, they’re ready to flip.
PS – If you don’t have a grill, you can also cook these indoors on a grill pan, or in a large skillet.
Can You Cook Shrimp Skewers in the Oven?
- Yes! If you’ like to make shrimp skewers in the oven, simply preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Bake the shrimp for 5-7 minutes until pink throughout.
As an added bonus, these grilled shrimp skewers can totally be done ahead of time for the most part. You can skewer ahead, and you can also make the green tahini sauce up to three days prior to serving them. You can also pre-grill the shrimp and serve it chilled. Which makes these grilled shrimp skewers perfect for entertaining.
May I suggest pairing them with one of these delicious Paloma cocktails?
Do you have any simple, quick and easy grilling recipes in your arsenal? I’d love to hear about them in the comments below.
If you loved these grilled shrimp skewers I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Wine Pairings for Grilled Shrimp Skewers:
- Sauvignon Blanc has bright citrus and herbal notes that pair nicely with the lemon and parsley found in this dish.
- Pinot Gris makes a nice match with its crisp minerality and citrus notes.
- For something unexpected, and budget friendly, try a Vinho Verde with these shrimp skewers.
- Grilled Lamb Chops with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Grilled Swordfish with Tangy Rosé Wine Mayonnaise
- Mango Lime Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Potato Salad with Tangy Mustard Dressing
- Curry Chicken Skewers with Lime
- Grilled Lamb Kebabs with Basil Tahini Sauce
- Grilled Chicken with Peanut Sauce
More seafood recipes:
- Shrimp Fra Diavolo
- Shrimp Sushi Bowls
- Shrimp Risotto Recipe
- Thai Shrimp Salad
- Squid Ink Pasta with Shrimp & Cherry Tomatoes
- Spring Roll Bowls with Shrimp
- 30-Minute Easy Shrimp Piccata
- Seafood Paella Recipe with Saffron Aioli
What to serve with it:
- German Potato Salad
- Grilled Potato Salad
- Cherry Tomato Salad
- Arugula Salad
- Vinegar Coleslaw
- Summer Pasta Salad
Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Green Tahini Sauce
- 1 16 oz. package peeled & deveined jumbo raw shrimp (uncooked and thawed)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Green Tahini Sauce:
- 1 bunch cilantro
- ½ bunch parsley
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 jalapeno (seeded and rough chopped)
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup tahini
- Salt (to taste)
Green Tahini Sauce:
- Place all ingredients in blender and process until combined, and desired smoothness. Season to taste with salt.
- Heat grill until hot.
- Toss shrimp with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange on skewers.
- Grill for 2 minutes on each side until the shrimp is pink, and cooked through.
- Serve with Green Tahini Sauce on the side.
9 thoughts on “Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Green Tahini Sauce”
Sounds so good! Can’t believe that’s just salt and pepper on the shrimp, so easy and looks so good–love that little bit of crispiness on them! Congrats on winning!!!
Cool to hear about the food waste initiative. I have definitely seen employees loading up bins of old produce at Fred Meyer… I hope it is going somewhere that needs it!
Thanks so much Suzannah!
I just saw tahini at the grocery store and almost bought it—but then I couldn’t think of what I’d make with it. Thanks for answering that question!
Of course – I hope you enjoy Catherine!
I remember watching your Instagram Stories when you were doing this cooking competition. Congrats, I can see why they won! Can’t wait to try these this summer… maybe even this weekend!
On a side note, that’s awesome to hear about Kroger. Glad to know they’re making good use of older foods.
Thanks Mary – These are so yummy (especially the sauce)! When we finally get together for a BBQ, I’ll bring them!
I have always thought how sad it is that grocery stores waste so much food that they take off of the shelves – I am glad to hear that isn’t necessarily true! These shrimp look incredible! I love a good green herby sauce, so I’m excited to try this recipe with Tahini!
This tahini sauce is delicious! It works great with grilled fish too! Thank you very much!
Of course! I’m so happy you liked it LoraA!