Chai Spiced Crumb Cake is delicately spiced and topped with a buttery chai-inspired crumb topping. It will set the scene for a cozy brunch at home.
Fall is officially here and I’ve been loving an excuse to get out the chai tea! There’s just something about the spice blend that gets me in the mood for fall. Bring on the piles of leaves, chunky-knit sweaters and boots.
I typically enjoy my chai tea in latte form with soy milk. And while I’ll often take a shortcut and order it in a coffee shop, I’ve recently discovered that it’s easy to make at home too by using Oregon Chai® Tea Latte Concentrate. Just mix equal parts concentrate and milk of your choosing and either heat it up or serve it over ice. It’s deliciously sippable with notes of honey, vanilla, and chai spices.
You can also combine the chai concentrate with some coffee to make what’s known as a “dirty chai” – it’s the perfect blend of tea and coffee and one of the best ways to start the morning.
What are Chai Tea Spices?
Chai tea is typically a blend of several spices, including the following:
- Black Pepper
Looking at that list, I’m immediately thinking that I want a new perfume for fall with all of those yummy spices blended together.
Or… Maybe a crumb cake?
Let me introduce you to my new favorite breakfast for the fall – Chai Spiced Crumb Cake.
Oh my goodness you guys….
You need to make this immediately.
How do you make crumb topping for cake?
- The crumb topping is super simple to make. Just mix together some brown and white sugar, add in some spices and a pinch of salt, and then, using a fork, combine with melted butter until crumbs form.
Where do you find Chai Tea Concentrate?
- I found the Oregon Chai Tea Latte Concentrate right at our local Target in the tea and coffee aisle.
If you’re into chai tea (or even if you’re not), I’m fairly certain that you’re absolutely going to love this crumb cake recipe. The amazing smell of it baking away will forewarn you… but I will too: You’re going to want two pieces.
Which is why I’ve decided it’s a good idea to keep half for yourself and give the other half away to a friend… I mean, there’s no better gift than crumb cake.
Last weekend, Rick & I had to leave town and we left our labradoodle, Sammie, with her dog sitter, Pedro. It just so happened to be his birthday, and I just so happened to have some of this Chai Spiced Crumb Cake fresh out of the oven. So, we wrapped it up and shared the love…
- Quinoa Breakfast Cookies with Dark Chocolate & Sea Salt
- Bacon Breakfast Tostadas
- Yogurt & Granola Breakfast Protein Popsicles
If you loved this Crumb Cake recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish are share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings.
Chai Cake Recipe
Chai Spiced Crumb Cake
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch x 13-inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, salt and spices. Add the melted butter and stir until well combined. Using a fork, mix in the flour until well combined and crumbs form.
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium size bowl until well combined, set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Slowly add in the sugar and beat until fluffy. Incorporate the eggs and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the chai concentrate and vanilla and beat until just combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and beat until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with large chunks of the crumb mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a fork inserted into the middle comes out clean.