Caprese Strawberry Pasta Salad is perfect for picnics or potlucks. Sweet strawberries combine with creamy mozzarella, basil and a tangy balsamic glaze.
Here in Oregon, we have the perfect summertime climate – with warm sunny days and cool nights, it’s the perfect climate for growing the wine that our state is known for, Pinot Noir. But did you know it’s also the perfect weather pattern for growing the sweetest and most delicious strawberries? Oregon strawberries are just the best – and I’m making the best of the last berries of the season by adding them to a caprese pasta salad.
We all know the standard caprese salad ingredients:
But, there’s no reason that we can’t swap out the tomatoes for strawberries in a caprese salad. They’re both juicy, they’re both sweet and they’re both red. They’re both delicious caprese salad ingredients
But to amp this salad up just a bit further, I’m adding two more ingredients – pasta & avocado.
Have I won you over yet?
This Strawberry Caprese Pasta Salad is the perfect dish to bring to potlucks. Not only is it unique and interesting, but it also keeps well an can be made ahead of time.
To make this salad ahead of time, combine the cooked and cooled pasta with the strawberries and mozzarella cheese. When ready to serve, add in the diced avocado, basil, and drizzle on the balsamic glaze.
The balsamic glaze that I’m using is actually store bought. I love having it on hand to drizzle over cooked chicken or steaks, or roasted veggies. It’ll last indefinitely in your cupboard and just helps to elevate a basic, otherwise boring dish.
However, if you’d like to make your own balsamic glaze, you can definitely do that too! It only takes two ingredients – balsamic vinegar and sugar.
How do you make balsamic glaze?
- Heat 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar and 3 Tablespoons sugar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Let it cool before serving. You’ll have extra from this recipe and it will keep in the refrigerator for up to one month.
The balsamic glaze is also amazing drizzled over a bowl of vanilla ice cream topped with Oregon strawberries. The combination of sweet with the tart balsamic is just amazing. You can even sprinkle on some coarse black pepper for an extra kick.
- Cherry Tomato Salad with Roasted Lemons
- Mexican Street Corn Salad with Pearl Couscous
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- 30-Minute Thai Beef Salad
- Israeli Couscous Tabbouleh Salad
Wine Pairings with Caprese Salad:
- Look for fruity wines with high acidity. Rosé, Sauvignon Blanc and Sparkling Wine are great matches for this dish.
If you loved this Strawberry Caprese Pasta Salad recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings.
Strawberry Pasta Salad Recipe
Strawberry Caprese Pasta Salad
- Cook pasta in salted water until al dente, according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water. Add to a large bowl and toss with olive oil.
- Add in strawberries, mozzarella, avocado and basil, toss gently and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
I teamed up with Oregon Strawberries to bring you this post. As always, all opinions are my own.