Roasted Cabbage Steaks topped with crispy bacon and drizzled with a garlicky creme fraiche sauce. They’re a decadent treat for when you’re trying to eat a bit healthier.
Now that the holidays have passed, it’s time to start thinking about eating a bit healthier, but that doesn’t mean that dinner can’t still be delicious! This recipe for roasted cabbage steaks is going to prove that to you – Promise. The reason? I’m not leaving off any of the good stuff… There’s bacon and there’s an amazingly delicious drizzle made of creme fraiche, lemon juice, dijon mustard and a bit of garlic.
I once heard that to make the perfect steak, you need to balance out the fat with a bit of citrus and salt. So, when you’re done grilling a steak, squeeze a bit of lemon over the top of it and then sprinkle on some flaky sea salt. I took that concept and put it to use on these roasted cabbage steaks – The citrus comes into play with the garlicky creme fraiche sauce and the salt comes from that crispy, smoky bacon. These two play so well together you guys…
For the garlicky creme fraiche, you want to be sure that you get your garlic grated really fine. I use a microplane. However, if you don’t have one, you can also throw all the sauce ingredients into a blender or food processor and let it get nice and smooth in there.
Now let’s talk about the true star of the show – The cabbage.
What Are Cabbage Steaks?
- Cabbage steaks are thick slices of cabbage that are roasted in the oven. These cabbage steaks take on almost a caramelized quality and the best part (the edges) get all nice and crispy and charred.
How to Make Cabbage Steaks:
- Slice cabbage into ½ inch thick rounds.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 400-degree oven, for 36 minutes, flipping halfway through.
The key is high heat, and really, a good amount of cooking time – 36 minutes in total with a flip in between. Be sure that you drizzle them with a good bit of olive oil and a hearty dose of salt and pepper before popping them into the oven too.
Look at that beauty…
When they’re out of the oven, dress them up with as much or as little of the garlicky creme fraiche sauce as you’d like (you’ll have extra). And feel free to pile on as much bacon as you want… I find myself nibbling on it as it’s cooling, so I always make maybe a strip or two too much. Plus, Sammie the Labradoodle looks at me with those eyes… And she usually gets some bacon bits too.
My New Year’s Resolutions do not include drinking less wine, so of course, I had to pair these roasted cabbage steaks with a bottle. I found the perfect wine pairing with a bottle of Pinot Noir. It’s earthy notes make a great match with the charred cabbage and the acidity balances out the rich bacon and garlicky creme fraiche.
If you loved these Roasted Cabbage Steaks I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Cabbage Steaks Recipe
Roasted Cabbage Steaks with Bacon & Garlicky Creme Fraiche
These Roasted Cabbage Steaks are topped with crispy bacon and drizzled with a garlicky creme fraiche sauce. They’re a decadent treat for when you’re trying to eat a bit healthier.
- 2 heads cabbage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 slices bacon cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup creme fraiche
- ½ lemon juiced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Stand the cabbage up root end on your cutting board. Cut into ½ inch thick slices, being careful to hold the leaves together. You can leave the core in, it will soften as it cooks.
- Arrange the cabbage steaks on two cookie sheets. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 18 minutes, turn over, then roast for 18 additional minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the bacon and make your sauce.
- Add the bacon pieces to a skillet set over medium heat. Cook until bacon is crisp and then remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate.
- Combine the creme fraiche, lemon juice, dijon mustard and garlic in a small bowl and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- One the cabbage steaks are cooked, drizzle them with the creme fraiche sauce and sprinkle them with the bacon. Serve immediately.
Roasted Vegetable Recipes:
- MISO ROASTED CAULIFLOWER
- ROASTED SQUASH WITH CHILI YOGURT AND CILANTRO SAUCE
- ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH CRANBERRIES AND BALSAMIC REDUCTION