Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake is super moist with the addition of yogurt and it’s topped with a buttery cinnamon crumb topping.
This recipe is a doozy! LOTS and LOTS of buttery cinnamon topping. The ratio of crumbs to cake is about half and half and I say there’s NOTHING wrong with that!
Starbucks used to make my absolute favorite coffee cake – I think they called it New York style. It was super thick and moist, but didn’t have too many crumbs. The flavor was just amazing. However, they’ve stopped carrying it as far as I can tell. Now there’s a reduced fat version and a version that looks like a mini loaf and they’re just not the same to me.
I created this recipe to resemble that thick moist cake, but I amped it up a notch with extra crumbs – the best part in my mind! Greek yogurt is added to the batter to keep it super moist.
Oh my goodness you guys….
You need to make this immediately.
How do you make crumb topping for cake?
- The crumb topping is super simple to make. Just mix together some brown and white sugar, add in some spices and a pinch of salt, and then, using a fork, combine with melted butter until crumbs form.
Last year, I brought this Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake in to work – because there was no way I was keeping this delicious cake at home for just Rick and I… It was gobbled up quickly – all but one piece. So, for breakfast the next day, what did I have? That last piece of leftover Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake of course!
I can testify that this Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake is just as good, if not better, the next day – So feel free to make this ahead of time and store the leftovers for breakfasts throughout the week. Or, if you’re having company for Thanksgiving or Christmas, this would be the perfect make ahead brunch dish… Just add mimosas!
If you loved this Yogurt Coffee Cake recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish are share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings.
Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake
Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake is super moist with the addition of yogurt and it's topped with a buttery cinnamon crumb topping.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 cup butter melted and cooled slightly
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch x 13-inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, salt and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and stir until well combined. Using a fork, mix in the flour until well combined and crumbs form.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium size bowl until well combined, set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth. Slowly add in the sugar and beat until fluffy. Incorporate the eggs and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the yogurt and vanilla and beat until just combined. Slowly add in the dry ingredients and beat until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with large chunks of the crumb mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a fork inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Looking for more breakfast & brunch recipes? Be sure to try these too: