These Mexican Breakfast Tostadas topped with a sunny side up egg are perfect for serving a group at brunch because everyone can customize their toppings.
I have a confession: I’m not a big breakfast/brunch person. I’m also not a big egg person. And here in Portland, where they’re putting runny eggs on everything and waiting hours in line for brunch when it’s pouring rain outside… I start to get this sinking feeling that I don’t belong. 🙁 🙁 🙁
Last weekend, I set out to change all that.
With these ——-> Mexican Breakfast Tostadas with a sunny side up egg on top.
Another confession? It took me an entire carton of eggs to get four that looked worthy of photographs. But, by the end, I think I got the strategy down.
I’d heard all different kinds of techniques. From Ree Drummonds version where she spoons hot oil over the top of the eggs as they cook (sounded too greasy to me), to putting water in the bottom of the pan and covering it for the last bit of the cooking time (my egg yolks turned white), what worked best for me was actually the simplest method – Adding a bit of oil to the pan, cracking the eggs, and just letting them be for a few minutes. This resulted in perfectly set whites and bright yellow, runny yolks.
Not that these tostadas need much more than a runny eggs and some spectacular bacon, but let’s just go ahead and have a little more fun with them…
We’re topping the tostadas with spiced black beans and cheddar cheese and letting it get all melty in our hot oven. To that, add your perfectly cooked egg, crispy bacon, and any other toppings that you love – I sprinkled these with a bit of cotija cheese, cilantro, avocado and cherry tomatoes.
And there you have it – A Portland-esque brunch without all the crowds. Just add mimosas…
If you loved these Mexican Breakfast Tostadas I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Mexican Breakfast Tostada Recipe
Mexican Breakfast Tostadas
- 8 strips thick cut bacon
- 1 14.5 ounce can black beans (drained)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- Salt (to taste)
- 8 crunchy corn tostada shells
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- salt and pepper
- Cotija cheese (finely grated)
- Cherry tomatoes (halved)
- Avocado (sliced)
- 1 lime (cut into wedges, for garnish)
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and crispy. Set aside to drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
Sunny Side Up Eggs:
- Add canola oil to a large non-stick skillet and heat to medium-high. Crack a few eggs at a time into the skillet, season with salt and pepper, and cook 2-3 minutes, until the whites have set. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the tostada shells in an even layer on baking sheet.
- Spread 2 tablespoons black bean mixture over the top of each tostada, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese. Bake for 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Place bacon and cooked eggs on top of the heated tostadas, top with avocado, tomatoes, cilantro and cotija cheese.