This strawberry dutch baby pancake, also called a German pancake, has delicious crispy edges, with an airy, puffy center. Topped with a tangy lemon sugar that’s not to be missed. It will quickly become a favorite breakfast recipe!
What is a Dutch Baby Pancake?
Dutch babies are sometimes referred to as a puff pancakes or a German pancakes. They’re essentially a fluffy pancake that’s a cross between a pancake, a popover and a crepe.
And while this giant pancake may look super impressive, it’s incredibly easy to make with a handful of basic ingredients! Just combine everything together in a blender or the bowl of a food processor, then pour it into a hot cast iron pan and let it cook away in the oven.
I served my version up with some tangy lemon sugar and fresh strawberries. However, you can also serve it up with maple syrup, or a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar.
- Strawberries – Fresh or frozen berries will work.
- Lemon zest
- Whole milk
- Vanilla extract
How to Make
- Preheat Oven. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet into the oven and preheat to 450-degrees.
- Combine Sugar & Lemon Zest. Toss 2 TBSP lemon sugar with the strawberries. S
- Blend Batter. Add ingredients to a blender and process until smooth.
- Add the Butter. Place butter in the hot skillet and place back in the oven to melt.
- Add Batter. Once butter has melted, add the batter to the hot pan and sprinkle with lemon sugar & strawberries.
- Bake. Return pan to the oven and bake 15 minutes, until golden brown & puffy.
- Serve with additional lemon sugar, whipped cream, lemon curd, lemon wedges and sliced strawberries, if desired.
- You can make the batter up to two days ahead of time and refrigerate until ready to bake. Give the batter quick whisk to combine just before baking, then bake as directed below.
More Strawberry Recipes
- Strawberry Galette
- Strawberry Mojito
- Ricotta Cake Recipe with Strawberries
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
- Strawberry Moscow Mule
More Breakfast Recipes
- Pumpkin Bread With Cream Cheese Swirl
- Greek Yogurt Coffee Cake
- Blackberry Muffins
- Blackberry Dutch Baby
- Blueberry And White Chocolate Breakfast Cookies
- Mexican Breakfast Tostadas
- Migas Recipe with Seasoned Black Beans
Did you try this dutch baby recipe?
If you loved this strawberry dutch baby I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
For more great Platings and Pairings recipes, be sure to follow me on Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest and Facebook.
Strawberry Dutch Baby Recipe
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 4 large eggs
- 2/3 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups strawberries
- Place a 10-inch cast iron skillet into the oven and preheat to 450-degrees.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar and lemon zest. Toss 2 TBSP lemon sugar with the strawberries. Set aside.
- In a blender, combine eggs, milk, flour, salt, and vanilla, and blend 30 seconds on high speed until smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender halfway through to make sure all flour is incorporated.
- Add butter to the hot skillet and place back in the oven.
- When the butter has melted, carefully pour dutch baby batter into the skillet. Sprinkle with ½ cup strawberries and the remaining lemon sugar. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, until golden and puffy.
- Serve with additional strawberries. Enjoy!