Crudités are a classic appetizer or snack consisting of raw vegetable sticks. Here’s how to make (& flavor) them & the best dips for serving.
In this post, we’ll discuss how to make crudités (aka vegetable sticks), including how to choose the right vegetables, how to cut them, and what to dip them in.
We’ll also pass along some handy tips for making your crudités even more delicious from the get go!
How to Choose Vegetables for Crudités
When choosing vegetables for crudités, it is important to consider a variety of factors, including:
- Color: Crudités should be visually appealing, so it is important to choose vegetables that have a variety of colors. This will make your crudités platter “pop” visually. See how I arranged mine in a rainbow pattern? (ROYGBIV)
- Texture: Crudités should have a variety of textures, such as crunchy, smooth, and chewy. This way, they’ll pair with a variety of different dips and flavors.
- Taste: Crudités should taste good on their own, as well as with the dips you serve them with. Choose vegetables that you enjoy eating, and that you think your guests will enjoy as well.
Popular Vegetables for Crudités and Vegetable Sticks
- Broccoli florets
- Cauliflower florets
- Bell peppers or baby bell peppers
- Cherry tomatoes
- Snap peas
- Blanched asparagus
- Summer squash
How to Cut Vegetables for Crudités
Once you have chosen your vegetables, you need to cut them into bite-sized pieces.
The size of the pieces will depend on your preference. Some people like their crudités to be small and easy to eat, while others prefer them to be larger and more substantial so that they can easily be dipped.
Here are some tips for cutting vegetable sticks:
- Use a sharp knife to get clean cuts.
- Cut the vegetables into even pieces so that they cook evenly and are easy to dip.
- If the vegetables are large, cut them in half lengthwise before cutting them into pieces.
- For vegetables with a hard skin, such as carrots and cucumbers, peel them before cutting them.
Tips for Making Crudités
Here are some tips for making your vegetable sticks even more delicious:
- Wash the vegetables thoroughly before cutting them. This will remove any dirt or bacteria.
- Add a little bit of lemon juice or vinegar to the water you wash the vegetables in. This will help to brighten their flavor.
- Marinate the vegetables in a flavorful dressing before serving. This will make them even more flavorful and satisfying.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with a little bit of salt before serving. This will help to bring out their natural flavors.
- Serve the vegetables with a variety of dips so that everyone can find something they like.
What to Dip Crudités In
There are many different dips that you can serve with vegetable sticks. Some popular options include:
- Ranch dressing
- Green Goddess Dressing
- Tahini yogurt sauce
- Blue cheese dressing
- Greek yogurt onion dip
- Baba Ganoush
- Whipped Feta
- Romesco Sauce
- Greek Yogurt Ranch Dip
Did you try these crudités?
If you loved this guide on how to make raw vegetable sticks, I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a ⭐️star review⭐️! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Vegetable Sticks (for Dips, Crudité & More)
- Wash the vegetables thoroughly before cutting them.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the vegetables into even pieces so that they are easy to dip. If the vegetables are large, cut them in half lengthwise before cutting them into pieces. For vegetables with a hard skin, such as carrots and cucumbers, peel them before cutting them.
- Enjoy with your favorite dip!