This is a sponsored post. The folks at HelloFresh sent me a box of their delicious meals to try. However, how could I not recommend them to you?! They’re awesome!!! AND, they’re giving you a great deal – Check it out below!
Last week was AWESOME! I found myself with so much free time because someone did all of my meal planning and grocery shopping for me. Who is this mystery person you may ask? HelloFresh – My new best friend.
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE getting boxes in the mail –Birchbox, Stitch Fix, and Barkbox for Sammie – I like to have a never ending supply of deliveries headed my way. They make me a happy girl. So when HelloFresh offered for me to try out their meal delivery program – “YES, YES and YES!”
I was impressed from the minute I opened the brown cardboard box with its bright green lettering. The items were shipped with several ice packs and everything was still plenty cold when I retrieved the box from our front stoop at 5pm. Inside were three recipe cards and three bags which held the groups of ingredients for each of the meals. Each meal serves two. However, there’s also the option to sign up for a family plan, which serves four.
The three recipes that I was presented with were:
Bloody Mary Chicken – Such beautiful colors and a totally original idea! I love bloody marys, so what could be bad about this?
Lebanese Beef Skewers with Herby Quinoa Tabbouleh – Who would have thought to make tabbouleh out of quinoa – It was delicious and went really well with the herbed meatballs.
Smoky Black Bean Cakes with Avocado Salsa & Tangy Mixed Greens Salad – This one was completely vegetarian, but really good, and really filling! Rick loved this recipe.
How good do all of those recipes sound?! Whoa – I didn’t know what to make first!
The things I LOVED about HelloFresh:
- The ingredients are super fresh.
- The calories are kept in check – Each recipe is reviewed by in-house dietitian, Rebecca.
- The meat and poultry is high quality.
- There’s no traveling to and waiting in line at the grocery store
- The recipes are top notch – Prepared by graduates of top notch culinary schools.
- The prices are reasonable – Under $12 per dish. (For an even better deal, check out the special 40% off offer below)
- There’s no need to go out and buy loads of spices that you’re only going to use once. It’s all provided.
- It’s fun!
- You don’t have to menu plan for the week – It’s all done for you.
- It’s an opportunity to try exciting, new recipes.
- The ingredients will stay fresh in your fridge for a week – Giving you flexibility.
The things I didn’t LOVE about HelloFresh:
- I didn’t already have a box in the works to be delivered next week!
Check out their recipe for Bloody Mary Chicken below. AND – You guys are in for a real treat! Drumroll… HelloFresh is offering my readers 40% off their first box! Just click this link. SCORE! That’s six gourmet dishes for right around $40.00 (shipping included). I know, right?!
Bloody Mary Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tsp . blackening seasoning
- 2 red onions
- 4 tbsp . white wine vinegar
- 2 carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 oz . green olives
- 4 tbsp . tomato paste
- 1 tbsp . tabasco
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 oz . pancetta
- 2 romaine hearts
- 2 tsp . horseradish powder
- 5 tbsp . extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Halve, peel, and thinly slice 1/4 the red onion. Place in a medium bowl with 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar and set aside to pickle. Mince or grate the garlic. Peel the carrot. Using your peeler, shave the carrot and celery into ribbons, rotating the carrot as necessary. Place the celery and carrot ribbons in a medium bowl of ice water and set aside.
Season the chicken with blackening seasoning, coating it on all sides. Heat 1/2 tbsp. olive oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook 3-4 minutes per side, until the exterior becomes slightly charred. Transfer chicken to a baking sheet and bake until cooked through, another 6-8 minutes.
Add the pancetta to the same pan and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Set the pancetta aside, keeping the drippings in the pan.
Reduce the heat to low and whisk 2 tablespoons tomato paste and the minced garlic into the pancetta drippings. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, then remove from heat and whisk in 1 tsp. horseradish, remaining white wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and hot sauce to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
Tear the romaine lettuce leaves into bite-sized pieces. Drain and dry the celery and carrot ribbons. Roughly chop the olives. Thinly slice chicken against the grain.
Toss the lettuce, celery, carrot, pickled red onion, and olives together and mound on a plate. Top with the pancetta and sliced chicken, then drizzle with the tomato-horseradish vinaigrette. Enjoy!
- For this chicken dish, lean away from the typical white wine pairing and go for a Cabernet Franc or Pinot Noir to balance out the richness of the slightly spicy sauce that’s got a base of bright tomatoes and fatty pancetta.