This rustic Blackberry Galette is a quick and easy dessert recipe that can be assembled in just 10 minutes using store-bought, refrigerated pie crust.
I’m going to preface this recipe by saying that the name of this 10-Minute Blackberry Galette can be a deceptive. While I guarantee that this galette will take you no more than ten minutes to assemble, the baking time will add on another 35-40 minutes.
So, hands on time = 10 minutes. Hands off time = 35 minutes, which leaves you just enough time to pull that ice cream out of the freezer and get it perfectly softened and scoopable.
I love serving this dessert for dinner parties since it’s so simple to make, but it’s also totally impressive.
Recently, I served it as part of this four-course dinner paired with Oregon Pinot Noir. I have to say, if you’re in to pairing your dessert with wine, be sure to try that combination. I also have to say that if you’re in to pairing your dessert with wine, we can and should definitely be friends…
- Pie Crust – You’ll need one 9-inch refrigerated pie crust. This isn’t the kind that you find in the freezer that’s already formed into pie tins. You’ll find this stuff in the refrigerator aisle, near those tubes of biscuits and cinnamon rolls. I use pillsbury pie crusts that you find in the refrigerated section. You can also make homemade pie crust.
- Blackberries – You can use fresh or frozen blackberries for this recipe.
- Coarse Sugar – Aka turbinado sugar. Regular sugar will also work.
- Vanilla Extract – Have you tried making sous vide vanilla extract yet? It’s amazing!
- Sliced Almonds – These are optional. But they give a yummy crunch to the crust.
How to Make It
Start with store-bought, refrigerated pie crust. This isn’t the kind that you find in the freezer that’s already formed into pie tins. This crust comes rolled up, and you’ll find it in the refrigerator aisle, near those tubes of biscuits and cinnamon rolls which I absolutely cannot touch because their spontaneous popping scares me half to death. Strange, because I have absolutely no issues with popping a bottle of champagne…
The rest of the ingredients are simple – Some fresh blackberries, a bit of coarse sugar, vanilla extract and a squeeze of lemon juice get tossed together with a bit of flour. The flour helps to thicken the juices that run out of the blackberries as they bake away. Load that yummy mixture into the middle of your pie crust, leaving about a 2-inch border around the whole thing, and then fold up the crust, pleating as you go. There’s no need to be fancy. What may be considered “messy” in some circumstances is simply known as “rustic” here.
To give my blackberry galette a bit of a special touch, I brushed the crust with some egg white and sprinkled it with a bit more of the coarse sugar and some sliced almonds. As it bakes away, the crust and the almonds will take on the most gorgeous golden color.
Then it’s time to eat.
Can I make it with frozen berries?
You can definitely swap in frozen berries for the fresh berries in this recipe. There’s no need to thaw the blackberries and no need to add any extra baking time.
Can I use different fruits in this galette recipe?
Yes! Use what you like. This galette would also be amazing with any of the following fruits:
You can also use a combination of two fruits – peaches and raspberries would be amazing together. Also, have fun experimenting with different spices and flavorings. Try a combination of cardamon with cherries, cinnamon with pears, or drizzle an apple galette with salted caramel or honey.
How to Serve It
I like to slice up the galette and serve it warm with a scoop of ice cream on top. You can also serve it with a dollop of whipped cream.
More Blackberry Recipes
- Blackberry Smoothie
- Blackberry Cornbread Muffins with Whipped Honey Butter
- Blackberry Goat Cheese
- Creamy Coconut Blackberry Mojito
- Blackberry Fool Dessert
- Custard Tart with Blackberries
- Blackberry Infused Vodka
More Dessert Recipes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Skillet Cobbler with Cardamom
- Blondies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
- Butterscotch Bourbon Budino with Salted Caramel
- Chocolate Shortbread Cookies with Hazelnuts & Sea Salt
More Galette Recipes
Did you try this easy blackberry gallette recipe?
If you loved this easy berry galette with pie crust I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Blackberry Galette Recipe
- 1 9-inch refrigerated pie crust
- Sprig of mint (to garnish)
- Ice Cream (for serving)
- 2 full cups blackberries
- 3 Tablespoons turbinado (coarse sugar)
- Zest from ½ small lemon (juice of ½ small lemon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, gently combine blackberries with sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla and 2 tbsp. flour. Add additional flour if the mixture is very wet.
- Gently unfold and lay out pie crust on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Pour the blackberry mixture in the center of the unfolded pie crust leaving a 2-inch border. Fold up the uncovered border over the edge of the fruit and pinch into pleats.
- Whisk egg and, using a pastry brush, brush the egg onto the crust and sprinkle with almonds and sugar.
- Bake until juices are bubbling and the crust is golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let sit for 5-10 minutes, serve with a scoop of ice cream on top and enjoy!