This Apple Galette with Cardamom can be assembled in just 10-minutes using a store-bought refrigerated pie crust. It’s a delicious dessert made even better with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This is one of my go-to dessert recipes – I’ve made several variations of it including this Blackberry Galette and this Strawberry Galette. I love the fact that galettes take only minutes to assemble. That’s because I’m using a store-bought pie crust. Not only is it quick to assemble, but the cleanup is super minimal too!
While the berry galettes are super quick to prepare, the prep time for this apple galette can be a bit more since you need to slice the apples… But, I found a shortcut method for that too!
I used my KitchenAid Spiralizer attachment and had those apples sliced up in under 5 minutes! To do it, just use the large core spiralizer attachment. Once the apple is spiralized, cut it through the middle so you’re left with half moon apples. However, if you don’t have a spiralizer, you can cut the apples by hand too. To do so, halve and core the apples then slice them crosswise into 1/4 inch thick slices.
How to Make Apple Galette
Start with store-bought, refrigerated pie crust. This isn’t the kind that you find in the freezer that’s already formed into pie tins. This crust comes rolled up, and you’ll find it in the refrigerator aisle, near the tubes of biscuits and cinnamon rolls.
The rest of the ingredients are simple – Apples, cardamom, coarse sugar, vanilla extract & lemon get tossed together with a bit of flour. Load the apple mixture into the middle of your pie crust, leaving about a 2-inch border around the whole thing, and then fold up the crust, pleating as you go. There’s no need to be fancy. What may be considered “messy” in some circumstances is simply known as “rustic” here.
To give my apple galette an extra special touch, I brushed the crust with some egg white and sprinkled it with a bit more coarse sugar and sliced almonds. As it bakes away, the crust and the almonds will take on the most gorgeous golden color.
Let it bake for about 40 minutes, then it’s time to eat!
How to Serve a Galette
I like to slice up the galette while it’s still warm and serve each piece with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.
I don’t like Apples. Can I use a different type of fruit?
Yes! You can use any fruit you love best in this galette! It would also be amazing with any of the following:
You can also experiment with different spices and flavorings. Try a combination of cinnamon with peaches or bake up a pear galette and drizzle it with some salted caramel sauce.
If you loved this Apple Galette with Cardamom I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished galette and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Apple Galette with Cardamom
Apple Galette with Cardamom can be assembled in just 10-minutes using a store-bought refrigerated pie crust. It's a delicious & easy dessert recipe!
- 1 9- inch refrigerated pie crust
- Ice Cream for serving
- 2 pounds apples cored and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon turbinado coarse sugar
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, gently combine apples with sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, vanilla, cardamom and flour.
- Gently unfold and lay out pie crust on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Pour the apple mixture in the center of the unfolded pie crust leaving a 2-inch border. Arrange the apples in overlapping rows or circles. Fold up the uncovered border over the edge of the fruit and pinch into pleats.
- Whisk egg and, using a pastry brush, brush the egg onto the crust and sprinkle with almonds and sugar.
- Bake until apples are tender and the crust is golden, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let sit for 5-10 minutes, serve with a scoop of ice cream on top and enjoy!
Wine Pairings with Apple Galette:
- I paired this Apple Galette with a Crémant d’Alsace Brut Rosé and it was absolute perfection! This wine has red berry notes, a creamy texture and long finish with a hint of baking spices that pairs amazingly well with the cardamom in this galette. It’s a pairing not to be missed.