Gin, lemon juice, orange juice & honey simple syrup combine in this delicious Bees Knees cocktail. Served straight up in a martini glass.
Lately, I have been noticing lots of cocktails featuring honey popping up on bar menus around town. Most feature some type of citrus along with the honey and are served straight up. Perhaps bartenders are taking a cue from the Hot Toddy – A classic wintertime drink consisting of whiskey, hot water, honey and lemon and believed to cure colds.
It does make sense though. Honey is a sweetener and can function in any cocktail much like a simple syrup would. As the base for this Bees Knees Drink, I’m making a honey simple syrup.
How To Make Honey Simple Syrup
- Simply combine equal parts honey and water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium until well blended.
How Long Does Honey Simple Syrup Last
- This honey simple syrup will last, stored in the refrigerator, for up to one month.
I’m combining the honey simple syrup with some gin and fresh squeezed lemon and orange juice to make this Bees Knees cocktail. If you’re not a fan of gin, you could also use vodka or bourbon in this cocktail.
What is in a Bees Knees Drink?
- Honey Simple Syrup
- Orange Juice
- Lemon Juice
How To Make a Bees Knees Cocktail
- Combine honey simple syrup, gin, lemon juice and orange juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a cocktail glass. Enjoy!
- Vanilla Bean & Fig Cocktail
- Aperol Spritz
- Paloma Cocktail with Honey Simple Syrup
- Blackberry Moscow Mule with Elderflower
- Harvest Moon Applejack Cocktail
Bees Knees Recipe
Honey Simple Syrup
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup water
Bees Knees Cocktail
- 2 ounces honey simple syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
Honey Simple Syrup
- Combine water and honey in a small saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring often, until the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Combine 2 ounces of the honey simple syrup, gin, lemon juice and orange juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a small chilled cocktail glass and serve.
- Reserve remaining honey simple syrup for more cocktails.
If you loved this Bees Knees Cocktail recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished cocktail and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings.
This recipe was originally published in January 2015. It was updated in April 2019 to add new photographs and update the content. The original cocktail recipe remains the same. Enjoy!