Lately, I have been noticing lots of cocktails featuring honey popping up on bar menus around town. Most feature some type of citrus along with the honey and are served straight up. Perhaps bartenders are taking a cue from the Hot Toddy – A classic wintertime drink consisting of whiskey, hot water, honey and lemon and believed to cure colds.
It does make sense though. Honey is a sweetener and can function in any cocktail much like a simple syrup would. For this cocktail, we make a batch of honey simple syrup, combining half honey and half water in a small saucepot over medium heat and stirring until well blended. The mixture is then cooled and can be stored in a mason jar. Use this syrup in the cocktail recipe below, or, be adventurous and try it in any cocktail recipe that calls for simple syrup.
- Honey Simple Syrup
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup water
- Bee's Knees Cocktail
- 2 ounces honey simple syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces gin
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
Honey Simple Syrup
- Combine water and honey in a small saucepan. Heat over medium, stirring often, until the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Combine 2 ounces of the honey simple syrup, gin, lemon juice and orange juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain into a small chilled cocktail glass and serve.
- Reserve remaining honey simple syrup for more cocktails.
Here are 9 more cocktails that feature honey for you to try:
1. Hot Toddy – Whiskey, lemon and honey – Served warm.
2. Golden Ale Beer Cocktail – St. Germain, citrus, vodka, honey simple syrup, and Belgian golden ale.
3. Pear Nectar with Reposado Tequila Cocktail – Tequila, pear honey
4. Bee’s Knees – Vodka, lemon, honey, vanilla
5. Honey Paloma – Tequila, grapefruit, honey, lime
6. The Beehive – Pear Vodka, honey, lemon
7. Honey Citrus Cocktail – Dragonfruit vodka, grapefruit, honey, orange
8. Nim Nam – Ginger, vanilla, lemon, honey
9. Pink Margarita – Tequila, Campari, lemon, honey