These Grapefruit Spritz Cocktails are perfect for a festive brunch. Prosecco, grapefruit and Aperol combine in this bubbly cocktail.
If you’re a fan of the traditional Aperol Spritz cocktail, you’re going to love this fun twist.
Much like with my Winter Aperol Spritz, I’m taking the traditional cocktail recipe and adding in a little twist. A twist of grapefruit in this case…
Rick and I got hooked on spritzes during our trip to Northern Italy a few years back. I’d account that to the fact that this isn’t an overly sweet cocktail. Instead, it’s got some integrity to it – a bit bitter, a bit herbaceous, and definitely easy to drink!
Psst… they’re low in alcohol too. Making them a perfect brunch cocktail.
Plus, they’re super simple to make.
Why You’ll Love Them
With just three ingredients you can fix a fun and festive cocktail that’s icy cold and refreshing with a pop of bubbles and tangy grapefruit juice.
The addition of aperol gives this cocktail a nice herbal backbone and just a hint of bitterness. It pairs really nicely with that grapefruit juice and gives this cocktail a wonderful bright pink color, just like my yummy Cosmopolitan cocktail recipe.
- Grapefruit Juice – Fresh squeezed is best!
- Aperol – Or, if you like your cocktails more bitter than sweet, try swapping out the aperol for campari. They have similar flavor profiles, but campari is less sweet.
- Prosecco – Prosecco is what gives this bubbly cocktail its great sparkle. Its fine, persistent bubbles carry with it notes of ripe peach, melon and apple, mingling perfectly with the grapefruit and aperol. You can also use cava, champagne, or any sparkling wine in place of prosecco.
How to Garnish
To finish things off, I just added a simple slice of grapefruit zest. Be sure to squeeze it into your glass to release all those fragrant citrus oils into your delicious cocktail.
What to Serve with Them
In Italian tradition, Aperol cocktails are served as an aperitif. Aperitifs are designed to be served before lunch or dinner to excite one’s appetite.
Do you have a favorite brunch cocktail that you like to enjoy at home? I’d love to hear what your favorite is in the comments below!
More Sparkling Cocktail Recipes
- Vanilla Bean & Grapefruit Sparkling Cocktail
- Aperol Spritz
- Limoncello Spritz
- Strawberry White Wine Spritzer
- French 75 Champagne Cocktail
- Cranberry Ginger Bellini
Did you try this grapefruit aperol spritz?
If you loved this grapefruit aperol cocktail I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Read about the differences between Campari and Aperol here.
Grapefruit Spritz Cocktail Recipe
- 2 ounces grapefruit juice
- 1/2 ounce aperol
- 2 ounces prosecco
- Grapefruit peel (for garnish)
- Add all ingredients to a glass filled with ice and stir gently to combine. Divide between two champagne flutes. Enjoy!
This post was originally published in 2017. It was updated in 2022 to add new photographs, and again in 2023 to add new content. The original aperol spritz with grapefruit recipe remains the same. Enjoy!