This easy Black Olive Tapenade recipe comes together in just 10 minutes in your food processor or blender. It’s amazing as an appetizer, served as part of a charcuterie board with crostini, baguette slices or used as a sandwich spread.
Olive Tapenade is salty, tangy, garlicky. Basically all things amazing. Especially for all you olive lovers out there!
But the best part is that you can make this easy recipe in just 10 minutes with the help of your food processor or blender. Plus, it’ll keep in the fridge for up to two weeks, meaning that you can make it way ahead of time.
It’s perfect to keep on hand to use as a delicious spread for sandwiches throughout the week. Or, serve it as a party appetizer or quick snack with some crostini or pita bread.
What is traditional tapenade made of?
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- Kalamata Olives
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Fresh Garlic Cloves
- Anchovy Fillets
- Fresh Basil
- Fresh Parsley
- Lemon Juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
How to make Olive Tapenade
- Simply add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until a smooth paste forms.
How long will homemade Olive Tapenade stay in the fridge?
- Tapenade will last up to two weeks in the refrigerator stored in an airtight container.
Can you freeze tapenade?
- Yes! You can freeze tapenade in a covered container for up to three months.
Is tapenade keto?
- Tapenade is keto-friendly.
Is olive tapenade vegan?
- As written this tapenade recipe is not vegan because it includes anchovies. However, you can change that!
Additional versions of tapenade:
- Try switching things up by using your favorite olives from the olive bar – black olives, green olives, castelvetrano olives, niçoise olives.
- Add in some roasted red peppers.
- Make an artichoke tapenade by using artichoke hearts.
How to make tapenade without anchovies:
- To make this vegan olive tapenade, simply leave out the anchovy. After processing you may find that your tapenade needs a bit more salt, so simply adjust that to taste with some kosher salt.
What do you use olive tapenade for?
- I love it served on crostini with goat cheese and sun dried tomatoes.
- Served with pita bread.
- Include the tapenade on a charcuterie or cheese board.
- Swirl it into hummus.
- Combine it with a bit more oil and vinegar to make a yummy salad dressing.
- Spread it on sandwiches.
- Add a small amount to some sliced roasted chicken or pork tenderloin.
Wine pairings for Olive Tapenade:
- Look for a red with a bit of tannins to stand up to this salty spread. Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot are all great pairings.
If you loved this Tapenade recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
- Steak Bites with Garlic Butter & Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Burrata Recipe with Sweet Pea Puree & Arugula
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Prosciutto Wrapped Avocado Bites
- Mexican Meatballs (Albondigas)
Easy Olive Tapenade Recipe
- 2 cups pitted mixed olives (rinsed in warm water (black kalamata, green, nicoise))
- 1/4 cup marinated sun-dried tomatoes (drained)
- 1 Tablespoon capers (rinsed)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley leaves chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In food processor or blender, combine all ingredients except olive oil. Pulse a few times until coarsely chopped.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil while processing until it reaches your desired texture.
- Serve at room temperature.
This recipe was originally published in April 2020. It was updated in March 2021 to add new photographs. The tapenade recipe remains the same. Enjoy!