This easy Olive Spread recipe comes together in just 10 minutes in your food processor or blender. Serve this olive tapenade as an appetizer, served as part of a charcuterie board with crostini, baguette slices or used as a sandwich spread.
Olive Spread is salty, tangy, garlicky. Basically all things amazing. Especially for all you olive lovers out there!
But the best part is that you can make this easy recipe in just 10 minutes with the help of your food processor or blender. Plus, it’ll keep in the fridge for up to two weeks, meaning that you can make it way ahead of time.
It’s perfect to keep on hand to use as a delicious spread for sandwiches throughout the week. Or, serve it as a party appetizer or quick snack with some crostini or pita bread.
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- Kalamata Olives – Or, a blend of your favorite olives, green or black.
- Sun Dried Tomatoes
- Fresh Garlic Cloves
- Anchovy Fillets – To make this vegetarian-friendly, simply leave out the anchovy. After processing you may find that your tapenade needs a bit more salt, so simply adjust that to taste with some kosher salt.
- Fresh Basil & Parsley
- Lemon Juice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
How to make Olive Spread
- Simply add all ingredients to a food processor or blender and process until a smooth paste forms.
Tapenade will last up to two weeks in the refrigerator stored in an airtight container.
Yes! You can freeze tapenade in a covered container for up to three months.
Tapenade is keto-friendly.
As written this tapenade recipe is not vegan because it includes anchovies. However, you can change that!
- Try switching things up by using your favorite olives from the olive bar – black olives, green olives, castelvetrano olives, niçoise olives.
- Add in some roasted red peppers.
- Make an artichoke tapenade by using artichoke hearts.
What do you eat olive spread with?
- I love it served on crostini with goat cheese or cream cheese and sun dried tomatoes.
- Served with pita bread.
- Include the tapenade on a charcuterie or cheese board.
- Serve it as a dip with crackers.
- Swirl it into hummus.
- Combine it with a bit more oil and vinegar to make a yummy salad dressing.
- Spread it on sandwiches.
- Add a small amount to some sliced roasted chicken or pork tenderloin.
- Look for a red with a bit of tannins to stand up to this salty spread. Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot are all great pairings.
- Steak Bites with Garlic Butter & Mustard Dipping Sauce
- Burrata Recipe with Sweet Pea Puree & Arugula
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
- Prosciutto Wrapped Avocado Bites
- Mexican Meatballs (Albondigas)
Did you try this olive spread recipe?
If you loved this olive tapenade recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would leave a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Easy Olive Spread Recipe
- 2 cups pitted mixed olives (rinsed in warm water (black kalamata, green, nicoise))
- 1/4 cup marinated sun-dried tomatoes (drained)
- 1 Tablespoon capers (rinsed)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 anchovy fillet
- 1 Tablespoon fresh basil leaves chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley leaves chopped
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In food processor or blender, combine all ingredients except olive oil. Pulse a few times until coarsely chopped.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil while processing until it reaches your desired texture.
- Serve at room temperature.
This recipe was originally published in 2020. It was updated in 2021 to add new photographs, and again in 2023 to add new content. The olive spread recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
Check out the web story here.