These Sausage Bites are simmered in white wine & served with a creamy, spicy mustard dipping sauce. They’re a delicious party appetizer that cooks up quickly & easily with just 5-ingredients!
It’s that time of year when delicious appetizer recipes are in high demand. Whether you’re headed out to a holiday party or you’re in need of a tailgating snack, these sausage bites are the perfect thing to bring along.
These sausage appetizers are super easy to make and the prep time will take you less than 10-minutes! All you need to do is slice up some sausages and open a bottle of wine. Let them all simmer together for about 20 minutes until the sausages are cooked through and the wine has evaporated a bit.
What’s the best white wine to use for cooking?
- For cooking, I prefer to use a wine with bright acidity and nice flavors. Use a wine that you would actually drink, but it doesn’t have to be an expensive bottle. Some of my favorite wines for cooking with are Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, Vinho Verde and unoaked Chardonnay.
While these sausage bites are simmering away in that wine, it’s the perfect time to mix up your creamy mustard dipping sauce.
Sauce for sausage bites
The sauce for these sausage bites takes just four ingredients:
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
But, if you want to make things even easier, you could just mix up the mustard with a bit of sour cream (or mayonnaise) and season it with salt and pepper.
I like to use dijon mustard this recipe. By adding a spoonful of it to this creamy sauce, it elevates the flavor so much and makes for the most delicious, rich & tangy sauce that’s just perfect paired with these sausage bites.
Once the sausage bites have simmered away in the white wine, I like to give them a good browning under the hot broiler. That makes them extra crispy and gives them that great golden color.
To do that, just preheat your broiler to high. Move the top oven rack so that it’s 2-3 inches below the heat source. Spread the sausage bites out on a baking sheet and broil for 4-6 minutes, tossing them halfway through.
I would say that these sausage bites are the perfect party appetizer. They’re super flavorful from being simmered in the wine, they’re easy to skewer onto a toothpick, and everyone loves a great dipping sauce, right?
If you loved these sausage appetizers I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished sausage bites and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More easy appetizer recipes:
- Prosciutto Wrapped Avocado Bites
- Prosciutto Wrapped Grana Padano
- Baked Brie in Puff Pastry
- Pasta Chips
- Pan Con Tomate Recipe (Pa Amb Tomàquet)
- Crostini Lasagna Appetizer Recipe
- Baked Goat Cheese Appetizer
- Steak Bites with Garlic Butter & Mustard Dipping Sauce
Sausage Bites in White Wine with Creamy Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 2 19- ounce packages Italian sausages (mild or hot, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 bottle dry white wine
Creamy Mustard Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup dijon mustard
- 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1 clove garlic (finely grated)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Place sausage pieces in a large, deep skillet and add wine. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until fully cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the creamy mustard dipping sauce. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate, until ready to serve.
- Once the sausages are cooked, remove them with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet.
- Broil (on HIGH) for 6-8 minutes, until the sausages are browned, tossing halfway through.
- Serve with toothpicks and creamy mustard dipping sauce.
This recipe for sausage appetizers was originally published in November 2018. It was updated in December 2020 to add new photographs and an instructional video. The original recipe remains the same. Enjoy!