This classic Moscow Mule recipe is made with just 3 ingredients! A refreshing combination of vodka, fresh lime juice, and ginger beer make for an incredibly simple cocktail that’s perfect for anytime of year.
But sometimes the best policy is to go back to the basics! So today I’m bringing you the classic version of this cocktail. This recipe is as simple as simple gets and only needs 3 ingredients.
The flavors in this cocktail are just made for each other. It’s the perfect combination of musky ginger and bright, tangy lime. Just a bit of fresh mint completes the whole ensemble.
Ingredients you will need:
Since this recipe only requires three ingredients, the key is to use quality ones. You won’t regret it because you’ll end up with a great cocktail.
- Vodka: There are plenty of good vodka brands out there. Choose a vodka that has some real flavor instead of just a watered down taste.
- Lime juice: Using freshly squeezed lime juice is an absolute must! The store-bought juice just can’t compare to the fresh flavor of a real lime.
- Ginger beer: Your ginger beer (not ginger ale) should be slightly sweet, yet still have plenty of spicy ginger flavor. If it’s too sweet, the sugar will cover over all the ginger. This is my favorite ginger beer for a Moscow mule.
How to make a Moscow mule cocktail:
- Start by filling your cup with ice. I love making these in the classic copper mugs, but you can absolutely use a regular glass as well.
- Next up, add the vodka. Here’s a tip that I learned from my bartending days – Did you know that if your bottle has a pour spout on it, a count to three while it’s pouring will give you the perfect measurement for a 1 1/2 ounce shot?
- Next, squeeze your lime juice straight in the cup, then finish it off with ginger beer. It should get nice and foamy on the top. You can garnish with a sprig of mint if you want, then enjoy!
Why does a Moscow mule have to be in a copper cup?
Technically, you can make this cocktail in any glass you would like. But traditionally they are served in copper cups like pictured. Besides making the whole experience extra special, these cups have also been noted to keep your drink icy and cold for longer than a normal glass!
What does a Moscow mule taste like?
This is an amazing flavor combination! The ginger beer is frothy, carbonated, and the perfect balance of sweet and spicy. Add the fresh, tangy lime and flavorful vodka for a delicious cocktail. You will probably want seconds!
Is there alcohol in ginger beer?
Nope! Ginger beer is a non-alcoholic drink that is slightly sweetened and carbonated. Depending on the brand you buy, it can have varying levels of ginger flavor and sweetness. I prefer to use a this brand, which is lightly sweetened and has a robust ginger flavor.
More Moscow Mule recipes:
- Strawberry Lime Moscow Mule
- Raspberry Lime Moscow Mule
- Apple Cider Moscow Mule
- Blackberry Moscow Mule
- Cherry Moscow Mule
Other cocktail recipes:
- Paloma Cocktail Recipe
- Paper Plane Cocktail
- Mai Tai Recipe – Hawaiian Classic Cocktail
- Cranberry Maple Bourbon Smash
- Sparkling Ginger Pear Cocktails
- Tropical Pineapple Cocktail Recipe
If you loved this recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
- Add vodka to a copper mug, or glass filled with ice. Squeeze in lime juice and top off with ginger beer. Garnish with a mint sprig. Enjoy!