This Apple Cider Moscow Mule puts a Fall twist on the traditional cocktail. Apple cider, lime juice, vodka and ginger beer are all you need for this delicious cocktail.
Today I’m putting a twist on the traditional moscow mule by throwing some apple cider into the mix. I thought it would be perfect for Fall and would make a fun and festive cocktail for Thanksgiving.
If you’ve ever made a Moscow Mule, you know that it is a super simple recipe. There’s basically no measuring involved, no cocktail shakers needed and no fancy ingredients.
How do you make a moscow mule cocktail?
- Making a traditional moscow mule cocktail is simple! You just need three ingredients – vodka, ginger beer and lime. Fill a mug (or glass) with ice, add 1 shot of vodka, the juice of ½ a lime and top it off with ginger beer.
- For this apple cider moscow mule, I added in 4 ounces of cider and cut the lime back to just 1/4 lime.
How do you measure a shot of vodka?
In the United States, a shot of liquor is generally considered to be 1.5 ounces. Here are three ways to measure a shot of vodka:
- Use a tablespoon. A tablespoon holds about ½ ounce of liquid. So just pour three of those into your moscow mule.
- Use a shot glass. A standard shot glass holds 1.5 ounces. Pour one of those into your moscow mule.
- Learn to free pour. If your bottle of vodka comes with a pour spout on it, or if you have a pour spout at home, a three-count pour should give you about 1.5 ounces. Have fun practicing at home with a shot glass and an empty bottle filled with water. See if you can get really accurate with this. It’s a tip that I learned from my old bartending days and it definitely makes fixing cocktails much easier!
Can you make a moscow mule with ginger ale?
- While it will still taste good, ginger ale will make a much sweeter moscow mule and the ginger flavor will not be so pronounced. I definitely prefer ginger beer in my moscow mules because I like the bite of the ginger flavor and like my cocktails on the not-so-sweet side.
I don’t like vodka? Can I use a different liquor in my Apple Cider Moscow Mule?
You sure can! My friend Hillary made this delicious Spiced Apple Cider Mule using a combination of bourbon and Fireball cinnamon whisky. You could also swap in these liquors:
- Tequila – This is also known as a Mexican Mule.
- Gin – This is also known as a Gin Buck or Gin Gin Mule.
- Rum – This is also known as a Dark ‘n Stormy if it’s made with dark rum.
To finish off my Apple Cider Moscow Mule, I dressed it up with a lime wheel and slice of apple. This is totally optional, but super pretty.
If you loved this Apple Cider Moscow Mule recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished cocktail and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings.
Apple Cider Moscow Mule
- 4 ounces apple cider
- 1 ½ ounces vodka
- 1/4 lime (juiced)
- 4-6 ounces ginger beer
- Add apple cider, vodka, lime juice and ice to a copper mug. Top with ginger beer to fill. Enjoy!