This Roasted Delicata Squash with Chili Yogurt and Cilantro Sauce is anything but basic. Roasted delicata squash is topped with a chimichurri style sauce, sriracha cream and pumpkin seeds.
Delicata squash is a little bit of heaven disguised in a gourd-like body. It’s milder and not as sweet as other winter squash so it makes a good match for bolder flavors. Here it’s topped with a chimichurri style sauce, sriracha cream and pumpkin seeds. And you thought squash was boring!
What Does a Delicata Squash Look Like?
- Delicatas are small squash, oblong in shape and yellow with green stripes.
Is the Skin of Delicata Squash Edible?
- Their thin skin is barely detectable when cooked, making them extra-easy to prepare since there is no need to peel!
To prepare the squash, cut them in half, scoop out the seeds, and then slice into these cute little half-rings, a bit like little smiley faces. They’ll roast in a 425-degree oven until beautifully browned around the edges.
The yogurt cream sauce is made simply with just two ingredients – sriracha sauce and greek yogurt. And, the cilantro sauce is a twist on my favorite mojo sauce. Made with cilantro, parsley, and garlic. What’s not to love? Sprinkle on some pepitas for a nutty, delicious crunch and get ready to take your tastebuds on an adventure!
- Butternut Squash Curry
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Spiced Popcorn
- Sausage & Butternut Squash Penne Pasta with Goat Cheese
- Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup
Roasted Squash with Chili Sauce and Cilantro
- 2 delicata squash
- 2/3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 2/3 cup greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 bunch cilantro (chopped)
- ½ bunch parsley (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt (to taste)
- 3 Tablespoons pepitas (for topping, shelled pumpkin seeds)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut your squash in half, and scoop out the seeds. Slice the halves crosswise, about 1 inch thick. Put the squash in a bowl with the cinnamon and olive oil. Stir to coat well. Spread out on a cookie sheet and lightly sprinkle with pepper. Roast for 25 - 30 minutes, until golden around the edges.
- To make the chili sauce, stir together the yogurt and sriracha.
- For the cilantro sauce, place cilantro, parsley, garlic and olive oil in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Season to taste with salt.
- To serve, place squash on a platter and top with sauces, garnish with extra chopped cilantro and pepitas.
If you loved this Roasted Delicata Squash I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Wine Pairings for Delicata Squash:
- A bright Pinot Gris fits the bill here. Alsace and Oregon offer great ones.