These Salmon Tacos with Blackberry Corn Relish are the best! Plus, these healthy fish tacos can be made in under 30-minutes.
The other day we celebrated Taco Tuesday in our house with a new recipe – Salmon Tacos with Blackberry Corn Relish.
The salmon is rubbed with a zesty blend of chili powder, cumin and oregano then baked in a hot 450-degree oven for 10 minutes until it’s perfectly cooked & flaky, and ready to be piled into some warm corn tortillas.
But the superstar of this dish may be the Blackberry Corn Relish that we’re piling on top.
I initially leaned towards calling this a blackberry corn salsa, but with the tangy lime juice and vinegar that’s running through it, it’s definitely more like a quick-pickled relish type condiment. I love how the flavors just pop on your tongue and I’m seriously considering making a triple batch of it so that I can use it as a dip with tortilla chips. Either that, or just devour it by the spoonful…
There are a couple ways to make this blackberry corn relish and it will depend on what season it is, and what’s available to you. You can use fresh corn that’s been trimmed from the cob, or frozen corn that’s been thawed. Same for the blackberries. If you’ve got some yummy fresh blackberries on hand, go ahead and use those, but in the off season, I love to use frozen Oregon blackberries. I love that you can find them year round. And, because Oregon berries are picked at the peak of ripeness and frozen within 24 hrs of being picked, they’re super flavorful and juicy. And most likely, the frozen blackberries you’re buying are from Oregon.
More than 90% of the US grown, frozen blackberries you find in the grocery store are from Oregon. We’ve got the perfect combination of clean air, fertile soils, warm days and cool nights that produces the perfect berries (and perfect wine in my opinion).
Salmon Tacos Ingredients:
- Salmon: Look for salmon filets that are roughly the same size.
- Seasonings: A simple blend of chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Tortillas: I used corn tortillas, but flour tortillas work too.
- Blackberry Corn Relish: Made with corn, blackberries, lime juice, red onion and jalapeno.
How to Make Salmon Tacos:
- Season the salmon. Drizzle salmon with olive oil and sprinkle on seasoning.
- Roast the salmon. Bake salmon in a preheated 450-degree oven for 8-10 minutes until it is opaque throughout and flakes easily with a fork.
- Make the relish. Whisk together lime juice and zest, vinegar, red onion and jalapeno; let sit 5 minutes to quick-pickle. Whisk in oil and pour dressing over corn and blackberries. Stir gently and season.
- Assemble the tacos. Add salmon to tortillas and top with blackberry corn relish. Sprinkle with cilantro and enjoy!
Salmon Taco Variations:
- Switch up the relish. Use pineapple, red cabbage or black beans in place of the corn.
- Switch up the fish. Use halibut, cod, or steelhead.
- Make things spicier. Add an extra jalapeno to the blackberry corn relish, sprinkle additional jalapeno on your tacos, or sprinkle some cayenne into the spice blend to make things spicier.
- Make things milder. Omit the jalapeno from the blackberry corn relish if you’re not a fan of spicy foods.
What to Serve with Tacos:
If you loved these Salmon Tacos I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Wine Pairing for Fish Tacos:
- A medium-bodied, wine with some good citrus to it makes a great match for these fish tacos. Try a Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Gris, or Vinho Verde.
- Korean Tacos with Bulgogi Beef
- Taco Quinoa & Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- Mexican Street Corn Chicken Tacos
- Banh Mi Pork Tacos
- Fish Taco Bowls with Mango Salsa & Avocado Cream Sauce
- The BEST Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
Salmon Tacos with Blackberry Corn Relish
- 1 ½ pounds boneless salmon fillets
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas (warmed)
Blackberry Corn Relish:
- 1 lime (zested and juiced)
- 1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons very thinly sliced red onion
- 1 jalapeno (thinly sliced)
- 1 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup fresh or thawed corn kernels
- 1/2 cup frozen Oregon blackberries (coarsely chopped)
- Fresh cilantro (to garnish)
Blackberry Corn Relish:
- Whisk together lime juice and zest, vinegar, red onion and jalapeno; let sit 5 minutes to quick-pickle. Whisk in oil and pour dressing over corn and blackberries. Stir gently and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Lightly pat the salmon filets dry with paper towels. Then place them in a single layer on the baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seasoning mixture. Bake until the internal temperature of the salmon reaches 145 degrees, about 8-10 minutes, or until it flakes easily with a fork and is opaque throughout. Once cooked, use a fork to shred salmon into large pieces.
- Add the salmon to your tortillas, top with salsa and cilantro.
More healthy seafood recipes:
- Salmon with Ginger Sauce (Sheet Pan Dinner)
- Sriracha Glazed Salmon with Zucchini Noodles
- 5-Ingredient Sheet Pan Salmon
- Instant Pot Salmon with Lemon-Dill Sauce
I teamed up with Oregon Berries to bring you this post. As always, all opinions are my own.