Add unbelievable flavor to your meal with this Compound Butter for Steak. It’s super easy and quick to make and is perfect for any meat, vegetables, bread or any food that needs a rich and buttery spread.
Once you’ve tried making this compound butter, you won’t want to go without a batch! Have some ready at all times to be slathered on your favorite foods.
It’s savory and galicky with a smooth and creamy finish and takes only minutes to whip together.
With only 5-ingredients you can make this compound butter spread at home in under 5 minutes.
When making this butter, the higher quality ingredients you use the better it will taste. Find the best butter you can and add only the freshest garlic, herbs and lemon you can find.
Add a layer while your steak sears and another once the steak is ready to be served for a rich and heavenly flavor. Smear it on toasted Guinness bread, roasted chicken, and any other meat, vegetable, or bread that needs a savory slather of butter.
🧈What is compound butter?
Compound butter is unsalted butter that’s been whipped together with flavorful ingredients such as garlic, herbs and spices. It can be sweet or savory and is commonly used to spread on grilling meats, vegetables, or bread and baked goods. This recipe is the perfect blend of herbs and spices to make a savory compound butter for steak.
🛒Compound Butter ingredients
- Unsalted butter – I prefer to use unsalted butter so that I can easily manage the saltiness. If you prefer salted butter, omit or decrease the amount of salt you add.
- Parsley – finely chopped fresh parsley.
- Garlic – try to use freshly minced garlic as it will have a stronger flavor than the jarred pre-minced garlic.
- Lemon – Lemon zest brightens up the savory butter so don’t skip this part!
- Herbs – Choose fresh herbs for the best tasting compound butter. I chose fresh rosemary, tarragon, basil, and thyme. You can switch these up to accomodate for what you have or like, but this herb mix really is perfect for using on steak!
- Kosher Salt + Ground Black Pepper
📋How to make it
Let the butter sit out at room temperature until softened. In a mixing bowl, combine the softened butter with the other ingredients.
Place a parchment paper or plastic wrap on a flat surface and scoop the mixture from the bowl onto the wrap. Roll it into a log and tie the ends to hold it together.
Refrigerate the butter for at least an hour or put it in the freezer for 15 minutes until the butter is firm.
How to use it
Slice the butter into rounds and enjoy on steak, filet mignon, lobster, bread, or veggies! Or, try it on one of these:
- Air Fryer Chicken Breasts
- Sous Vide Ribeye Steak
- Sous Vide Filet Mignon
- Traeger Steak
- Roasted Chicken
🌿What herbs are best in compound butter?
You can season your compound butter with a variety of herbs and spices depending on your taste. Here are some herbs and ingredients you can add in to your compound butter for unique flavor combinations.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Other flavor mix-ins include blue cheese, parmesan and horseradish.
🕕How to prep, store, and reheat recipe
Store leftover herb butter wrapped in plastic or in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one month. To store even longer, you can freeze compound butter for up to 3 months. To thaw, just place in the refrigerator overnight, then slice and use as needed.
Using an unsalted butter is best for steak so that you can control the amount of saltiness and seasoning you add to it. This homemade compound butter is perfect for steak with its savory mixture of garlic and fresh herbs.
Compound butter is just regular butter that’s been softened and seasoned with ingredients such as herbs, spices or even sweeteners to add extra flavor for a creamy spread that can be added to meats, sides, and sauces.
Did you try this recipe?
If you loved this garlic herb compound butter recipe, I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a ⭐️star review⭐️! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
🥩 More recipes to serve with steak!
If you loved this garlic compound butter for steak, you’ll love these other recipes to serve with your next steak dinner!
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Duchess Potatoes with Cheese
- Roasted Broccoli with Garlic and Tahini
- Bearnaise Sauce
- Mashed Cauliflower
Compound Butter for Steak Recipe
- Combine softened butter with garlic and fresh herbs. Arrange the butter in the center of a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap. Roll the butter into a log. Place in the refrigerator for 1 hour, or in the freezer for 15 minutes to firm up.
- Slice the butter into rounds and enjoy on steak, bread, or veggies!