Instant Pot Fried Rice comes together quickly & easily with ingredients you probably already have on hand! Skip the takeout and make your own (tastier) fried rice at home.
If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know that I live for Instant Pot recipes. I love the convenience of the Instant Pot! While it may not cook some recipes faster than the original recipe, it does make things really hands off.
This recipe for Instant Pot Fried Rice is one of those recipes that I’ve adapted from the original version to make in the Instant Pot. And while my original Bacon Fried Rice recipe cooks in just 15-minutes, you do need to start with pre-cooked and cooled white rice (which I also make in the Instant Pot). This Instant Pot Fried Rice takes about 40 minutes from start to finish, but that takes into account the time for the pressure to build and release in the Instant Pot, plus you don’t need pre-cooked rice for this recipe.
In reality, the hands on time it takes to make this Instant Pot Fried Rice is only about 15 minutes, the same as with the standard recipe.
All being said, I still prefer to make fried rice on the stovetop using cooked and cooled rice that I’ve made in my Instant Pot. But, this recipe is great for those times when a stove might not be available – say in a dorm room or in a camper.
How Do You Make Fried Rice in the Instant Pot?
It’s super simple to make fried rice in the Instant Pot. You don’t even need pre-cooked white rice when making this version!
We’ll start by frying up some diced bacon. Then, remove the bacon from the Instant Pot using a slotted spoon. Leave about a tablespoon of the bacon fat in there. Next we’ll scramble the eggs in the Instant Pot, flavoring them with the bacon fat.
Then goes in the rice and some water along with soy sauce and oyster sauce. Seal the Instant Pot and let it cook for 6 minutes. Once the timer goes off, let the pressure release naturally for about 5 minutes, then remove the lid and stir in your cooked eggs and bacon along with the frozen peas and green onions. The heat of the rice will thaw those peas in just a couple minutes. They’ll stay tender and firm, and won’t be overcooked this way.
Tips for Making Instant Pot Fried Rice
Use what you have on hand! Don’t have shallots? Use onions and garlic. No bacon? Leave it out, and just add a bit of butter to the Instant Pot before cooking the eggs. Have some carrots in the fridge? Throw those in there too. The best part is that this fried rice is totally customizable and adaptable.
You can also try swapping out the regular soy sauce for some kecap manis (sweet soy sauce).
Can You Freeze Fried Rice?
You can definitely freeze fried rice. It will keep in the freezer for up to three months. I like to package it into individual Ziploc sandwich bags and freeze it laying flat.
To cook frozen fried rice, thaw it overnight in the fridge. Then, heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a medium skillet or in your Instant Pot using the “saute” setting. Add fried rice and cook until warmed through, about 5-7 minutes.
Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Baked Potatoes with Crispy Skins
- Instant Pot Split Pea Dal
- Instant Pot Chili Mac & Cheese
- Instant Pot Persian Beef Stew
- Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup
More rice recipes:
- Rice Cooker Rice
- Toasted Rice Powder
- Instant Pot Red Beans & Rice
- Bacon Fried Rice
- Rice Cooker Sushi Rice
Wine Pairings for Fried Rice:
- Try a Prosecco or Gewurztraminer with this dish. Eggs can often be tricky to pair with wine, but these light, fruity varieties actually help to bring out all the salty, smoky flavors in this dish.
If you loved this Instant Pot Fried Rice I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Instant Pot Fried Rice
- 3 strips bacon ( cut into ½” pieces)
- 2 eggs (lightly beaten)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup minced shallot
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 Tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 3 green onions (sliced)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Heat Instant Pot on SAUTE mode. Once hot, add bacon and cook until crisp, about 8-10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the Instant Pot.
- Add eggs and scramble for 2-3 minutes. Set aside with bacon.
- Add butter, shallot and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until the shallot has softened, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add rice, water, soy sauce, and oyster sauce to Instant Pot and lock lid on top.
- Cook on MANUAL high pressure 6 minutes. It will take 10 minutes for pressure to build then a countdown timer will begin. Once the time is up, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff rice, then stir in cooked bacon, peas, scrambled eggs and green onions, Season fried rice with salt, pepper, and additional soy sauce to taste. Serve immediately.