These are the BEST Baked Beans! Brown sugar and bacon make this baked beans recipe extra delicious.
It’s my belief that everyone should have in their arsenal an awesome dish that’s perfect for potlucks – Something that’s easy to prepare, feeds a crowd, and is suitable for picky eaters. For me, this is that dish. Baked beans that are simmered in a rich sauce of bacon, onions, cider vinegar, mustard and brown sugar.
It’s not a secret family recipe – So unlike the Bush’s Baked Beans commercials, I don’t have to worry about Sammie telling you all my secrets (she can’t talk anyways) – I’m happy to share the recipe with you!
This dish is really, really simple. The hardest part is slicing the onions. I make Rick do that part…
Three onions, four cans of beans, five strips of bacon, and some seasonings that are simmered stovetop and then left to bake for an hour. Told you – Easy!
Bring this to any summer barbeque and remember to bring the recipe along, because your family and friends are going to ask for it…
PS – Beans don’t photograph well… At all. I almost didn’t post this recipe because it’s just not the prettiest of food-gawkable pictures. But, hey. I told myself: “Erin – Your ego is not always your amigo.” – And I decided to post it anyways. I had to share it with you guys – It’s just that good. A ‘lil ugly, but good. Promise!
What Do Baked Beans Go With?
- Easy Roasted Chicken
- Grilled Steak
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Charred Lemon Chimichurri
- Cedar Plank Grilled Salmon
Homemade Baked Beans Recipe
The BEST Baked Beans
- 3 medium onions (thinly sliced)
- 5 strips bacon (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 15-ounce cans butter beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 15-ounce cans pork and beans
- 1 16-ounce can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- In a large pot, sauté the onions and bacon until the onions are softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add brown sugar, mustard, and vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir the beans into the sauce mixture and pour into a 3 quart baking dish. Cover with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes - 1 hour.
If you loved these Baked Beans I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
6 thoughts on “The BEST Baked Beans”
I like the spin with the three beans – almost like three bean salad meets baked beans. I can’t wait to try this!
Thanks Jackie – I hope you love this dish!
Sometimes I really wish I could eat beans because I really do like them!! Sadly, they don’t REALLY agree with me at all. Ha! I especially love those black eyed peas – which I guess, are peas? LOL
Just had to drop by to say these are still bomb in 2021! Thanks for the recipe! Now I can TRY to show up my sister, who usually makes the BEST baked beans (and really all food in general haha)
By the way I used 3Qt Dutch oven for one pan baked beans. Sauté to oven in one pan! Recommend!