Hawaiian Coleslaw with pineapple, cabbage, carrots, sesame seeds and a ginger-soy lime vinaigrette brings a tropical taste to traditional slaw.
Even though it’s beautiful here in the Pacific NW right now – Can I just say, I’m ready for a VACATION?! An extended vacation, with plenty of beach time, tropical cocktails and an endless supply of US Weekly magazines.
We’re planning a trip to Maui in the late fall and I absolutely cannot wait. I’ve been to Hawaii twice before, but only to Waikiki. I hear that Maui is a whole different vibe. Much more relaxed, and green and tropical.
Thoughts of boarding that plane in November when it’s freezing and pouring down rain here in Oregon will help to get me through these next four months. That, and this Hawaiian coleslaw recipe which I spied on The Skinny Fork.
How can you not be in a good mood when you have a plate of this yummy Hawaiian coleslaw in front of you. Just look at all those colors – And the heart shaped carrots – I mean, how cute are they?!
How to Make Heart Shaped Carrots
- Here’s a tutorial for making those cute heart shaped carrots.
Hawaiian Coleslaw Ingredients
Much like my Vinegar Coleslaw, this Hawaiian slaw has got the traditional ingredients of cabbage and carrots, but it’s bumped up a notch into tropical nirvana with the addition of fresh pineapple chunks, black sesame seeds, and a ginger-soy lime vinaigrette.
This Hawaiian style coleslaw is super healthy too. Which helps in the being bikini-ready department. Now if I can just stop stealing all those pink starbursts from our office reception candy dish, limit the wine drinking, and get in some more workouts, I’d be all set… But really… I mean, wine is pretty much a necessity.
Have any of you been to Maui? Do you have any tips for must-see places, must-taste restaurants, must-drink cocktails? I’d LOVE to hear your suggestions in the comments below! Mahalo.
If you loved this Hawaiian Slaw recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More Hawaiian inspired recipes:
Hawaiian Coleslaw Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups shredded green cabbage (packed)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage (packed)
- 1 cup fresh pineapple (diced)
- 1/2 cup grated carrots (packed)
- 2 green onions (sliced)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (minced )
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh ginger (grated)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 lime (juiced)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Combine cabbages, carrots, pineapple, green onions and cilantro in a large bowl and set aside.
- Add ginger, olive oil, vinegar, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and lime juice to a mason jar, shake well to combine, and pour over the slaw. Stir to combine. Season with salt to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before eating. Garnish with black sesame seeds.
This recipe was originally published in 2015. It was updated in 2021 to add new photographs and content. The original recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
Watch the web story here.