Hawaiian Coleslaw with pineapple, cabbage, carrots, sesame seeds and a ginger-soy lime vinaigrette brings a tropical taste to traditional slaw.
Even though it’s beautiful here in the Pacific NW right now – Can I just say, I’m ready for a VACATION?! An extended vacation, with plenty of beach time, tropical cocktails and an endless supply of US Weekly magazines.
We’re planning a trip to Maui in the late fall and I absolutely cannot wait. I’ve been to Hawaii twice before, but only to Waikiki. I hear that Maui is a whole different vibe – Much more relaxed, and green and tropical. Thoughts of boarding that plane in November when it’s freezing and pouring down rain here in Oregon will help to get me through these next four months – That, and this Hawaiian coleslaw recipe which I spied on The Skinny Fork.
How can you not be in a good mood when you have a plate of this yummy Hawaiian coleslaw in front of you. Just look at all those colors – And the heart shaped carrots – I mean, how cute are they?!
This Hawaiian slaw’s got the traditional ingredients of cabbage and carrots, but it’s bumped up a notch into tropical nirvana with the addition of fresh pineapple chunks, black sesame seeds, and a ginger-soy lime vinaigrette.This Hawaiian style coleslaw is super healthy too – Which helps in the being bikini-ready department. Now if I can just stop stealing all those pink starbursts from our office reception candy dish, limit the wine drinking, and get in some more workouts, I’d be all set… But really… I mean, wine is pretty much a necessity.
Have any of you been to Maui? Do you have any tips for must-see places, must-taste restaurants, must-drink cocktails? I’d LOVE to hear your suggestions in the comments below! Mahalo.
- 1 cup Shredded Green Cabbage packed
- 1 cup Shredded Red Cabbage packed
- 1/2 cup Grated Carrots packed
- 1 cup Fresh Pineapple diced
- 2 Green Onions sliced
- 1 Tbsp . Ginger Root grated
- 3 Tbsp . Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp . Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 Tsp . Honey
- 1 Tsp . Sesame Oil
- 1/2 Lime juiced
- 1 Tsp . Black Sesame Seeds
- 1/8 Tsp . Red Pepper Flakes Optional
- Generous Pinch of Salt
- Combine slaw mix, carrots, pineapple and scallions in a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to a mason jar, shake well to combine, and pour over the slaw. Stir to combine.
- Cover and let sit in the refrigerator for 30 minutes prior to eating.
I used this great tutorial from Sophistimom to make the cute heart shaped carrots from one of the carrots, for topping.
Looking for more Hawaiian inspired recipes? Try these: