Breakfast never looked so good! This vibrant Dragon Fruit (Pitaya) Smoothie Bowl is a perfect, healthy way to start the day.
I was a bit slow to hop on the smoothie bowl bandwagon. Why would I want to make a smoothie, pour it in a bowl, and eat it with a spoon? Isn’t it just so much more easy to pour it into a to-go cup and hit the road? Well yeeesss… It is more easy. And, while I’ll say that most weekdays I still grab my smoothie and go, I AM a smoothie bowl convert.
- Look how pretty it is! A smoothie bowl lets you get creative (and healthy) with the toppings. I topped mine with some mighty fine superfoods: Bee pollen (like gold glitter for your bowl), cacao nibs, coconut flakes, kumquats and raspberries.
- It’s surprisingly much more filling. I’ve heard that it helps to “chew” your smoothie or juice. The chewing action activates an enzyme that aids in digestion. I made my first smoothie bowl on a busy night, and called it dinner. I was expecting to be starving by the time morning rolled around, but to my surprise, I was still full AND I had plenty of energy.
- It lets you put your smoothie’s party dress on for the weekend – Normally, I don’t do smoothies on the weekends. I’m pretty much burned out on them by the end of the week. But now, I can make them more exciting, and still get my nutrients, which are definitely needed after our “wine tasting” weekends. Which let’s admit, is every weekend. If you open more than one bottle, you’re “tasting” right?
The bright color of these bowls comes from the pitaya (or dragon fruit) cubes. I found these ‘lil guys in the grocery store freezer case. Pitaya has a mild taste, which helps it pair well with other ingredients. I’d say that its flavor is similar to a kiwi or melon.
Thank you for being a welcome new addition to my breakfast repertoire Mr. Pitaya Smoothie Bowl! And can I just say, “You are looking dashing in pink!”
Pitaya (Dragon Fruit) Smoothie Bowl
- 6 ounces frozen pitaya dragon fruit
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 banana preferably frozen
- 1 cup pineapple chunks preferably frozen
- 1 cup mango chunks preferably frozen
- Bee Pollen
- Cacao Nibs
- Place smoothie bowl ingredients in blender and process until smooth.
- Add toppings to your heart's desire - Time to get creative!
- This bowl can be enjoyed as a smoothie as well. Just add 1/4 cup more almond milk and omit the toppings.
- Other great toppings include chia seeds, strawberries, mango chunks, blueberries, and goji berries.