Learn how to make the BEST Instant Pot Farro. Make farro in the Instant Pot so that you can add these delicious, hearty & chewy grains to any meal. Nutritious farro is packed with fiber, protein and iron.
Lately, I can’t seem to get enough of farro.
I’ve been swapping it in place of rice or quinoa in grain bowls like these Sweet Potato & Chickpea Buddha Bowls, Yumm Sauce Bowls, Quinoa Taco Bowls, or Chicken Gyro Bowls.
I’ve also been using it in hearty salad recipes like this Farro Salad with Basil Lemon Tahini Dressing or this Pesto Farro Salad with Pecans.
And just like with my rice and quinoa, I’ve found that the easiest and fastest way to cook grains is in the Instant Pot.
First thing’s first…
🍴 What is Farro?
- Farro is a grain like rice or quinoa, but it’s packed with an amazing amount of fiber and protein. It supplies you with more than 10 different vitamins and minerals and is lower in gluten than most wheat. You’ll typically find in near the rice in your grocery store.
I love that farro has a hearty, chewy texture and an almost nutty flavor to it.
🥄 How to Cook Farro in the Instant Pot
- Rinse 1 cup farro.
- Add to your pressure cooker with 3 cups water or bone broth.
- Place lid on pot, set valve to the sealing position and cook on MANUAL high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally then remove lid.
- Drain any remaining liquid.
✔️ How to Add Flavor
There are a few options for adding even more flavor to your farro.
- Toast the farro in the Instant Pot before adding the cooking liquid using the SAUTE function. You can even brown it in a bit of butter.
- Cook the farro in bone broth, chicken stock or beef stock to add more flavor. (I love making my bone broth in the Instant Pot too!)
- Add aromatics like onion, shallot, garlic or fresh herbs to the liquid before cooking.
Use 3 cups of broth or water per cup of farro that you’re cooking. So, if you’re cooking 1/2 cup of farro, use 1 1/2 cups of liquid.
1 cup of dried farro will make about 2 1/2 cups of cooked farro.
You do not need to soak farro before cooking.
Yes. Farro is typically coated with a powdery substance. So, it’s best to rinse it before cooking. Just add it to a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water.
👩🍳 Serving Suggestions
- Farro Salad with Basil Lemon Tahini Dressing
- Chicken Parmesan Skillet with Farro
- Pesto Farro Salad with Pecans
If you loved this Instant Pot Farro I would appreciate it so much if you would give this recipe a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
For more great recipes, be sure to follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.
Instant Pot Farro Recipe
- 1 cup farro (rinsed and drained)
- 3 cups bone broth (stock or water)
- Add farro and water (or stock) the pot.
- Seal the lid and cook on MANUAL high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to release naturally, then drain off any excess liquid.
- It will take about 15 minutes for the pressure to build in the pot, and about 10 minutes for the pressure to release, so I’ve found that it’s quicker to make farro on the stovetop, but the Instant Pot is great if you’re looking for a fuss-free option.
- For added nutty flavor, try toasting your farro in the Instant Pot with a bit of butter using the SAUTE setting before adding the cooking liquid.
More Instant Pot Grains
This post was originally published in 2019. It was updated in 2022 to add new information. The recipe remains the same. Enjoy!
4 thoughts on “The BEST Instant Pot Farro (EASY Recipe)”
I used this recipe to make farro and it turned out great! Perfect texture and so easy!
I doubled the recipe. It came out perfect.👍