This Healthy Chicken Parmesan Skillet with Farro is an easy to prepare, hearty & healthy dinner that will be on your table in a hurry.
This recipe is what happens when I set my mind to making a traditional dish easier and healthier.
I’m a huge fan of chicken parmesan. With its breading, the tangy marinara sauce, and the melty cheese. But I’m not a fan of making it at home. Why?
- I dread the breading process. It makes such a huge mess and dirties so many dishes.
- I’m not a fan of frying. It makes the kitchen smell and scatters grease everywhere.
So my version doesn’t bread the chicken and doesn’t fry it. And in doing those two things, we actually make this chicken parmesan healthier too. Plus, I’m mixing it together with a healthy and nutritious grain, farro. Making this dinner extra hearty and super delicious.
What is Farro?
Farro is a grain. It has a great bite to it and a somewhat nutty flavor. It’s a bit like amped up brown rice and it’s extremely nutritious. It’s packed with protein, fiber and nutrients like zinc, vitamin B, and magnesium.
You should be able to find farro easily in your grocery store near the rice.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan Easy
- Cook the farro in boiling water. Meanwhile, make the chicken parmesan.
- Cut the chicken into pieces so that it cooks quickly and season with Italian seasoning.
- Add a jar of marinara sauce (or a few cups of homemade marinara sauce).
- When the farro is finished, add it to the skillet with mozzarella & parmesan cheese.
How to Make Healthy Chicken Parmesan
- To make this chicken parmesan healthier we’re skipping the breading process, adding in some kale, and combining it with nutritious farro.
What Wine with Chicken Parmesan?
- Try a light-bodied red wine like a Barbera or Pinot Noir that will will stand up to the acidity and richness in this dish.
- For a fun option, give Lambrusco a try. It’s an Italian red sparkling wine with just a hint of sweetness to it that will pair well with the tomato sauce in this dish.
More Chicken Recipes:
- 20-Minute Thai Chicken Salad
- Chicken Thai Larb Recipe
- Spinach & Artichoke Orzo with Chicken
- Easy Roasted Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Southwest Chicken Salad with Pico de Gallo
I hope you love this Healthy Chicken Parmesan recipe as much as I do! If you do, I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
What to Serve With Chicken Parmesan
- Shaved Brussel Sprout Salad with Mustard & Parmesan
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Shaved Fennel and Celery Salad
- Instant Pot Steamed Artichokes
Healthy Chicken Parmesan Skillet with Farro
- 1 cup farro
- 3 cups bone broth (or chicken stock)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 onion (diced )
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 24-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 5 ounces kale (chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons minced fresh basil (plus extra for topping)
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Rinse and drain farro. Place in a pot with broth and salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat to a medium-low and simmer 30 minutes. Drain any excess water.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add chicken and season with Italian seasoning and salt & pepper. Cook about 4-5 minutes or until chicken is mostly cooked through. Remove to a plate.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Return chicken to the skillet. Add marinara sauce, 1 cup water, kale, basil and balsamic vinegar and simmer on low until farro is finished cooking.
- Stir in farro and 1/4 cup each of the Parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Remove skillet from heat, cover and let sit 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh chopped basil and red pepper flakes, if desired.