The New York Sour Slush is a frothy, frozen version of a tart whiskey sour cocktail. Refined with a splash of sweet red wine syrup, this sophisticated adult slushy is easy to make and will be a hit at your next summer gathering.
Frozen whiskey sour slush
If you enjoy sipping whiskey sours, then you’re going to love a New York Sour Slush. It’s similar to a classic whiskey sour but with a red wine twist! A splash of red wine syrup on top enhances the tart flavors but finishes with a smooth, oaky sensation.
Just think of it as a snowcone for adults. It’s sweet, tart, and completely refreshing! Pre-blending a batch of New York slushies will surely upgrade the cocktail menu at your next outdoor summer gathering.
Does whiskey pair with wine?
Yes! In fact, a classic whiskey sour is enhanced with a float of red wine on top in New York sour recipes. The actual inventor of the first New York sour is unclear, but it seems as though a 19th-century bartender knew whiskey and wine belonged together.
The best wine to pair with whiskey is full-bodied and easy to drink. Dry reds like Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, or Merlot are perfect.
What’s in a frozen New York sour?
- Red wine – I recommend an oaky red. To make a sweeter frozen drink, use an unoaked wine with fruitier flavors.
- Whiskey – Rye whiskey has distinguishable peppery notes that pair well with this cocktail’s citrus bite. You can also make a whiskey sour slush with bourbon but it will taste sweeter.
- Lemon – Fresh juice and zest. Bottled lemon juice works in a pinch but doesn’t have the bright flavors of freshly squeezed.
- Ice cubes
- Maraschino cherries
- Maple syrup
Of course, the maple syrup you’re using matters in this recipe. If you’ve got some in your refrigerator, look at the label. If you see more than one ingredient, it’s not pure maple syrup. I’m using 100% pure maple syrup from Canada. This natural sweetener has an unmatched flavor that adds a beautiful depth and complexity to this dish. You’ll know the real maple difference when you taste it!
How to make a New York sour slush
Start by reducing the wine and maple syrup into a thick, pourable syrup. After cooling, pour the red wine syrup into an airtight container and keep it in the fridge between uses.
For the frozen whiskey slush portion, simply blend the rye whiskey, maple syrup, lemon juice, zest, and ice until it’s frothy and icy.
To assemble, drizzle 1 or 2 tablespoons of the red wine syrup into the bottom of each glass, then pour the frozen whiskey sour overtop. Garnish with maraschino cherries, and serve asap!
Tips and tricks
- High-speed blenders are pros at crushing ice and making frozen drinks as smooth as possible.
- Try not to over-blend the drink. 10-15 seconds should be plenty of time. Otherwise, you may end up with a runny whiskey slushy.
- If you love the foamy head on a classic whiskey sour, blend the ingredients with an egg white first without ice, then again with ice. Egg whites have the magical ability to give cocktails a creamy finish and ultra-smooth mouthfeel.
How do you float wine on a New York Sour?
- With the rim of a spoon facing the surface of the drink, slowly pour the wine over the back side of the spoon to layer it evenly on top of the liquid. Remember that red wine syrup is denser than red wine and won’t float on top as nicely.
Snack and appetizer pairings
Serve a batch of New York whiskey slushies alongside salty snacks and spicy apps, such as:
- Baked Tortilla Chips with Chipotle Salsa
- Pretzel Bites with Cheese Sauce
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Filet Mignon Bites with Creamy Horseradish
- Blistered Shishito Peppers
Did you make this NY Sour Slush?
If you loved this frozen New York sour recipe, I would love for you to give it a starred review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished frozen drink and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
More cocktail recipes:
- Applejack Cocktail
- Grapefruit Spritz Cocktail
- Seabreeze Cocktail
- Cranberry Maple Bourbon Smash
- Classic Mint Julep
- Blackberry Bramble
- Aviation Cocktail
New York Sour Slush Recipe
Red Wine Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup rye whiskey
- 3 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon ( zested)
- 4 cups ice cubes
- Maraschino Cherries (to garnish)
Red Wine Syrup
- In a small saucepan, combine wine and maple syrup and bring to a boil over high heat. Cook until it reduces in volume by half, about 10-15 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- In the container of a blender, combine the rye whiskey, maple syrup, lemon juice, zest and ice. Cover and blend until slushy, 15 to 30 seconds.
- Spoon 1 to 2 tablespoons of wine syrup in the bottom of each glass. Top with the whiskey slush and serve.
I teamed up with Pure Maple from Canada to bring you this post. As always, all opinions are my own.