This Harvest Moon Applejack Cocktail is made with apple brandy, almond syrup (orgeat) and lemon juice. It’s a delicious cocktail recipe that’s served straight up in a martini glass.
The 1934 December-edition of Esquire Magazine includes a list of the “Top 10” most popular cocktails. The list starts with an Old Fashioned, and ends with a Daiquiri, with the rest of the cocktails on the list being reasonably well known. However, one of them, the Harvest Moon, appears to have disappeared from cocktail lists since that time.
Described as being an “applejack sour with orgeat” – I wanted to set out on the mission of recreating this vintage cocktail at home. I’d had some applejack on hand from making Hot Toddies last weekend, and I was on the hunt for other cocktails that would use this unique spirit. The Harvest Moon was just what I was looking for.
Applejack Cocktail Ingredients
- Applejack – A brandy distilled from apples.
- Almond Syrup – Also known as orgeat.
Where do you find the ingredients for this applejack cocktail?
- Look for the Applejack at your local liquor store. It’s a strong alcoholic beverage produced from apples. The brand that I use, and the one you’ll find most here in the United States is Laird & Company.
- The Almond Syrup (orgeat) can be found at any well-stocked supermarket. Look for it in the coffee aisle. It’s a sweet syrup made with almonds and orange or rose water.
What does this applejack cocktail taste like?
To me, the Harvest Moon cocktail definitely tastes similar to a whisky sour, but it’s got so much more flavor going on. It definitely hits you with the tang of the lemon juice, but then that smooth apple brandy mellows it out a bit, it adds a more balanced feel to the cocktail, and the addition of the orgeat sweetens everything up a bit. I love that hit of almond flavor, it almost reminds me of a white wedding cake flavor.
Do you have any vintage cocktail recipes that you always order or make at home? Another one for me is the Negroni… Let me know your favorites in the comments below – I’m always on the hunt for new cocktails to try!
Harvest Moon Applejack Cocktail
- 1 1/2 ounces Applejack
- 1/2 ounce Torani almond syrup (orgeat)
- 1/2 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 slice lemon (for garnish)
- Place all ingredients (except garnish) in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake for 30 seconds.
- Strain the contents into a cocktail glass and garnish with lemon slice.
If you loved this recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished Applejack Cocktail are share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Looking for more cocktail recipes? Be sure to try these too: