This 5-minute Creamy Garlic Sauce is an easy go-to sauce you can serve with pasta, chicken, shrimp, and so much more. The flavors are rich and savory, and will keep you coming back for more!
This Creamy Garlic Sauce stands alone as the best sauce for pasta, chicken, and more. It’s divinely rich and irresistibly savory thanks to a simple mix of half and half, garlic, butter, and chicken stock. All you need is a skillet and 5 minutes to put it together!
Unlike a classic Alfredo sauce, this creamy pasta sauce is not made with parmesan cheese. This leaves it with a baseline of rich, savory, and garlicky flavors to help it pair well with practically anything. It’s fantastic tossed with fettuccine noodles and sliced chicken, or you can stir in the herbs or cheeses of your choice to take the flavors up a notch.
- Butter – Use unsalted butter so the sauce is not overly salty.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic cloves are non-negotiable!
- Flour – All purpose flour or gluten free flour will help thicken the sauce.
- Half and half – Because it wouldn’t be garlic sauce without the cream. You can use heavy cream for a richer flavor and consistency.
- Chicken stock – This gives the sauce a baseline of savory flavors to compliment the fresh garlic. You can use vegetable stock or water instead.
- Fresh parsley – For a balancing freshness.
- Kosher salt and black pepper – To round all of the flavors together.
How to make creamy garlic sauce
Start by melting the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook until it’s fragrant.
Next, add the flour and let it cook until golden. Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock, then let the sauce simmer until it thickens.
Finish the sauce by stirring in the parsley, salt, and pepper. Adjust the flavor to your taste, then serve!
Ways to use garlic cream sauce
One of my favorite ways to use this sauce is to toss it with fettuccine or linguine noodles for a rich and creamy Alfredo-like pasta dish. Sliced chicken breasts, shrimp, or crumbled bacon on top really takes this hearty meal over the top!
You aren’t limited to only using the sauce on pasta, though. It comes with endless other uses, such as:
- Nestle pre-cooked chicken breasts or thighs into the skillet with the sauce for an extra creamy chicken dinner.
- Swap the traditional red tomato sauce for creamy garlic sauce on French Bread Pizza or these Stuffed Zucchini Boats.
- Use it to make a creamy version of chicken marsala.
- Layer it in lasagna as an alternative to the traditional bechamel sauce.
- Stir it into a batch of mac and cheese along with freshly grated mozzarella.
- Drizzle it over cooked asparagus or broccoli.
- Bake it into a Leftover Ham Casserole or Tuna Casserole.
- Gluten free – Substitute a 1:1 gluten free flour for the all purpose flour.
- Make it cheesy – Stir in ½ to ¾ cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese or Parmigiano Reggiano at the end.
- Instead of half and half – Make the sauce with heavy cream for a richer consistency or whole milk for a lighter consistency.
- Dairy free – A dairy free garlic cream sauce will not be quite as rich as the original, but it will still taste great! Use a fatty non-dairy milk in place of half and half, like cashew cream, full fat coconut milk, or soy milk.
- Vegan – Use any of the non-dairy milks mentioned above and substitute vegetable stock or water for the chicken stock.
- Add more herbs – Stir fresh basil leaves, a sprig of time, a teaspoon or two of an Italian seasoning blend, or a scoop of homemade pesto sauce to give the sauce an herbaceous finish.
- Brighten it up – As you saute the garlic, deglaze the skillet with a splash of dry white wine, like Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, or Sauvignon Blanc, to add a hint of brightness.
You can use the sauce right away or keep it in your fridge for later. Store it in an airtight container or jar for up to 3 or 4 days. It can also be frozen in freezer-safe containers or ziplock bags.
Reheat the sauce in a skillet over medium-low heat before serving. The consistency will be a bit thicker, but you can thin it out with a splash of chicken stock or half and half.
More homemade sauces for pasta
- Mushroom Cream Sauce
- Creamy Rose Sauce
- Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Fra Diavolo Sauce
- Sunday Gravy
- Homemade Vodka Sauce
- Kale Pesto
Did you try this garlic sauce recipe?
If you loved this creamy sauce, I would appreciate it if you gave it a starred review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Creamy Garlic Sauce Recipe
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and cook until lightly golden, 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken stock. Simmer, until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper, to taste.