Slow Cooker Lentil Soup with Chipotle is a warm & comforting hearty soup that’s perfect for chilly Fall days! Chipotle peppers give it a bit of heat & great smoky flavor.
This Slow Cooker Chipotle Lentil Soup is perfect to make ahead and then pack for lunches during the week. It’s got a smoky kick from the chipotle pepper, a nice tang from a good squeeze of lime juice, and a creamy texture due to the fact that I blend it up a bit at the end. The flavors are reminiscent of a great chili, but in my opinion, this chipotle lentil soup has a little something extra from the tanginess and creaminess. Plus, it’s totally vegetarian! I love to top my bowl with some fresh cilantro, avocado and sour cream…
If you’re looking for ways to eat healthier, sneaking pulses into your daily routine is definitely a great way to do it! Sign up for the Half-Cup Habit, and see how easy it can be to add ½ cup serving of pulses to your diet 3x per week. That’s totally doable, right?!
To get you started, here are three yummy recipes that incorporate lentils, and are perfect for make-ahead weekday lunches:
- Cheesy Southwestern Lentils & Brown Rice (made in the Instant Pot)
- Hearty Sausage, Kale & Lentil Soup
- Southwest Lentil & Brown Rice Salad
And, of course, let’s not forget the star of this post… Slow Cooker Lentil Soup with Chipotle.
Pile all the yummy ingredients into your crockpot in the morning and you’ll come home to this beautiful, smoky chipotle lentil soup that’s just perfect for these chilly fall evenings that we’ve been having lately. It’s warm and comforting and requires nothing from you after you come home from a long day at work… Meaning that all you have to do is pour the wine and decide which episode of Real Housewives you want to enjoy while slurping up this soup…
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup with Chipotle
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup is a warm and comforting hearty soup that’s perfect for chilly Fall days! The chipotle peppers give it a bit of heat and a great smoky flavor.
- 2 cups red or brown lentils rinsed
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1-2 chipotle peppers seeded & minced
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tsp. adobo sauce from chipotle can
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- Avocado for topping
- Sour Cream for topping
- Cilantro for topping
- In a slow cooker, combine the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, lentils, cumin, oregano and chipotle peppers.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes and adobo sauce.
- Cook on LOW until the lentils are tender, 8 to 10 hours. Transfer 3 cups of the soup to a blender and let cool for about 15 minutes. Puree until the mixture is almost smooth. Pour the mixture back into the slow cooker. Stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
Wine Pairings for Lentil Soup:
- Tempranillo, Zinfandel, and Malbec will stand up to the smoky heat in this lentil soup.
This post was sponsored by USA Pulses & Pulse Canada.