Slow Cooker Lentil Soup with Chipotle is a warm & comforting hearty soup that’s perfect for chilly Fall days! Chipotle peppers give it a bit of heat & great smoky flavor.
The BEST Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
This Slow Cooker Lentil Soup is perfect to make ahead and then pack for lunches during the week. It’s got a smoky kick from the chipotle pepper, a nice tang from a good squeeze of lime juice, and a creamy texture due to the fact that I blend it up a bit at the end. The flavors are reminiscent of a great chili, but in my opinion, this chipotle lentil soup has a little something extra from the tanginess and creaminess. Plus, it’s totally vegetarian! I love to top my bowl with some fresh cilantro, avocado and sour cream…
If you’re looking for ways to eat healthier, sneaking pulses into your daily routine is definitely a great way to do it! Sign up for the Half-Cup Habit, and see how easy it can be to add ½ cup serving of pulses to your diet 3x per week. That’s totally doable, right?!
To get you started, here are three yummy recipes that incorporate lentils, and are perfect for make-ahead weekday lunches:
- Cheesy Southwestern Lentils & Brown Rice (made in the Instant Pot)
- Hearty Sausage, Kale & Lentil Soup
- Southwest Lentil & Brown Rice Salad
- Lentil Bolognese
And, of course, let’s not forget the star of this post… Slow Cooker Lentil Soup with Chipotle.
Pile all the yummy ingredients into your crockpot in the morning and you’ll come home to this beautiful, smoky chipotle lentil soup that’s just perfect for these chilly fall evenings that we’ve been having lately. It’s warm and comforting and requires nothing from you after you come home from a long day at work… Meaning that all you have to do is pour the wine and decide which episode of Real Housewives you want to enjoy while slurping up this soup…
Wine Pairings for Lentil Soup:
- Tempranillo, Zinfandel, and Malbec will stand up to the smoky heat in this lentil soup.
- Tomato Bisque
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup with Fresh Dill
- Smoky Chipotle Potato Soup with Cheddar
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Avgolemono Soup (Lemon Chicken Soup with Dill)
- Instant Pot Weight Loss Soup (with Stovetop Instructions)
If you loved this Slow Cooker Lentil Soup recipe I would appreciate it so much if you would give it a star review! Also, be sure to snap a picture of your finished dish and share it with me on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings and tagging me @platingsandpairings.
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup with Chipotle
- 2 cups red or brown lentils (rinsed)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 2 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 1-2 chipotle peppers (seeded & minced)
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 tsp. adobo sauce (from chipotle can)
- 1/4 cup minced cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- Avocado (for topping)
- Sour Cream (for topping)
- Cilantro (for topping)
- In a slow cooker, combine the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, lentils, cumin, oregano and chipotle peppers.
- Stir in the vegetable broth, diced tomatoes and adobo sauce.
- Cook on LOW until the lentils are tender, 8 to 10 hours. Transfer 3 cups of the soup to a blender and let cool for about 15 minutes. Puree until the mixture is almost smooth. Pour the mixture back into the slow cooker. Stir in the lime juice and cilantro.
This post was sponsored by USA Pulses & Pulse Canada.